Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's a Turn-row?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
in-too-deep
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:14 am    Post subject: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In a Jason Aldean song, the lyrics go, "Put the tailgate down on a turn-row. Watch the corn grow..." Is a turn-row like headlands or endrows of a field? Southern term? Thanks!

Jonathan Anders
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You"re right on there, that is what we call the headlands of a field here in Texas. Another regional term I guess. It's where we turn to start the next round.

Randysouthmississippi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its a southern term. Its the end rows of a field, i think in midwest terms its headlands.

ldj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jonathan Anders wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:18:12 02/19/13) You"re right on there, that is what we call the headlands of a field here in Texas. Another regional term I guess. It's where we turn to start the next round.

I've lived in TX almost all of my 73 years and I never heard of "headlands" What part of TX are you in?

DoubleR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:36 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First time I heard it called that too but kind of figured it out. I guess calling it a turn row does self explain it more than a headland as I know it.

Buck520
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:42 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

all my life iv heard of the "big buck' that crossed the other end of the turnrow

Sourgum

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think Aldean is from the South and turnrow tends to be a Southern term. Being from the Corn Belt (IN) have never heard that term until his song. We always called them endrows. There are places in the South that do not plant field ends for whatever reason.

in-too-deep
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:56 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep. Growing up in IL they were endrows. Here in MN you hear headlands.

641Dave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sourgum wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:46:11 02/19/13) I think Aldean is from the South and turnrow tends to be a Southern term. Being from the Corn Belt (IN) have never heard that term until his song. We always called them endrows. There are places in the South that do not plant field ends for whatever reason.

Just for the record. ...from the "Taste of Country" website,

Everything about ‘Take a Little Ride, from the lyrics to the melody, sounds just like a Jason Aldean hit should. That’s exactly what the song’s three writers — Dylan Altman, Rodney Clawson and Jim McCormick — were hoping for when they turned in their demo after penning the song.

“It’s funny … I was really the only country guy in the room,” Clawson says with a smile. “Dylan’s from New Jersey and Jim grew up in New Orleans. He was actually a college professor in New Orleans when he was in his 20s. We just broke out all the little country things. I’m the guy who grew up on a farm, went to college, came back, farmed with my dad for 15 years, so I can just start listing off stuff.”

Jonathan Anders
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:00 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I hadn't heard that term much either growning up. We always called them turnrows here in Jackson County along the Coastal Bend. Headlands is a term I learned when reading about plowing with antique turning plows. Apparently it's still be used in other parts of the country to describe turn areas and borders.

Jonathan Anders
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See my post above. Seems I misplaced my reply to you.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its headlands in the far west, too- you finish up a field by "plowing out the headlands"- never liked to do that, because no matter how nicely you plowed the rest, the headlands would be kind of a mess, where they went across the other furrows. Of course, all I ever plowed was sod, and it tends to end up looking messy, regardless.

cumminspuller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm in middle TN. Most people call them endrows around here. There are a few that call them turn rows. Its seems to be turn rows around cotton farmers more I think.

Chris

pat sublett
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Im with you ibj. Newer heard the term. I been here 78 years and it's always been "turn row".

Mo in NE Tx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: What's a Turn-row? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Down here in cotton country, you always planted cotton at the end of the regular rows, usually 4 or 6 rows on both ends of the field, then when plowing the crop and when you got to the end to turn, thus turn rows. Wasn"t near the number of plants due to turning, but nothing went to waste.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.