Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gonefishn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:32 am    Post subject: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently purchased the 311006 solenoid and installed. I have 12.64 VDC on one small terminal and the other small terminal is grounded. Is this enough voltage to work the solenoid?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gonefishn wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:32:55 02/19/13) I recently purchased the 311006 solenoid and installed. I have 12.64 VDC on one small terminal and the other small terminal is grounded. Is this enough voltage to work the solenoid?
Should be.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

a 12v solenoid will usually pull in at about 9-10v and not drop out till 8 or under.

what problems are you experiencing?

have you done a bench test on the solenoid using a known good battery and some jumper clips and an ohm meter?

Texas!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have 12.64V on one small terminal and the other small terminal is connected to Ground you should hear and/or feel the solenoid click as it engages.

Gonefishn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:18 am    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This was going to be my next step. I recently replaced the old 6V solenoid with the 12V(previously converted to 12V system). I have one small terminal connected to the key switch and the other connected to ground. When I check the voltage at the small hot terminal, I have over 12V, but the solenoid does not close. I have checked my connections and they are good.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

do you actually have the correct solenoid, and not a bypass slenoid, and have the bypass side hooked up?

try this.

hookup bat to both the big posts.

hook ground to case

probe either small post with wire from bat.

if it clicks.. it's the wrong one.

if not, try bat / ground on the small post.. ethen reverse them.

post back observations

Texas!
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There"s lots of chinese junk out there now. This same problem shows up regularly on the Mustang forums.

KrisNMo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I tried that same solenoid when I converted my NAA to 12 volt. It's not the right solenoid and will not work with the neutral safety switch. The correct solenoid with the isolated base I found was at NAPA solenoid number ST542.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=ECHST542_0362743081

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

KrisNMo wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:26:47 02/19/13)
I tried that same solenoid when I converted my NAA to 12 volt. It's not the right solenoid and will not work with the neutral safety switch. The correct solenoid with the isolated base I found was at NAPA solenoid number ST542.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=ECHST542_0362743081
Very interesting experience that you had, Kris. NAPA cross references 311006 to ST-542, both 4 terminal isolated coil units. Question

KrisNMo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sure was a nice experience. I have the supposed to be (311006) sitting in the garage on a shelf and it is not an isolated coil.

How I wired the ST-542

Left large terminal ~ connected to starter
Right large terminal ~ connected to battery
Left small terminal ~ connected to ground push button
Right small terminal ~ connected to positive key switch

When the 311006 was wired this way and the key switch was turned on the solenoid was activated without pushing the ground button.

So if they are supposed to be the same solenoid I must have gotten a mis-packaged 311006. I'm good for getting the 1 out of 1000 products that's packaged wrong. Happens to me quite often. Wink

Last edited by KrisNMo on Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

KrisNMo wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:16:49 02/19/13)
Sure was a nice experience. I have the same (311006) sitting in the garage on a shelf and it is not an isolated coil.

How I wired the ST-542

Left large terminal ~ connected to starter
Right large terminal ~ connected to battery
Left small terminal ~ connected to ground push button
Right small terminal ~ connected to positive key switch

When the 311006 was wired this way and the key switch was turned on the solenoid was activated without pushing the ground button.

So if they are supposed to be the same solenoid I must have gotten a mis-packaged 311006

Apparently mis-packaged or NAPA book wrong!

KrisNMo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NAPA's book is probably right, I'm good for getting mis-packaged products. Not the first time for me and I'm sure it won't be the last.

Gonefishn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tested the 311006. I removed the harness wires from the solenoid and the placed the ground under the mounting bolt of the solenoid. Fixed a jumper to run from the positive battery post and placed it on the I (small terminal first). Nothing happened. I then placed the jumper on the S terminal and the solenoid closed and the starter engaged. Just for understanding I then grounded the I terminal and placed the jumper on the S terminal. The solenoid chattered. I received this solenoid from a tractor parts supplier. All the numbers indicated that this was the correct part for my tractor, my luck also.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gonefishn wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:33:46 02/19/13) Tested the 311006. I removed the harness wires from the solenoid and the placed the ground under the mounting bolt of the solenoid. Fixed a jumper to run from the positive battery post and placed it on the I (small terminal first). Nothing happened. I then placed the jumper on the S terminal and the solenoid closed and the starter engaged. Just for understanding I then grounded the I terminal and placed the jumper on the S terminal. The solenoid chattered. I received this solenoid from a tractor parts supplier. All the numbers indicated that this was the correct part for my tractor, my luck also.
" Just for understanding I then grounded the I terminal and placed the jumper on the S terminal. The solenoid chattered. ",,,,,,,,that does not make sense for any solenoid...right or wrong type. "I" is an open ended circuit until the solenoid is pulled in. You don't have the wrong type, it is a defective part & further, even if the wrong part, to function like your description, it would still need to be a defective part.

Last edited by JMOR on Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gonefishn
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ford NAA-311006 Solenoid Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To me the solenoid sounded as though it chattered. The starter did not engage, the solenoid was not continuously closed. I am planning on trying the NAPA ST 542. I will let you know what happens. I know that the part could be bad out of the box and anything is possible. But I received this part from a supposedly quality tractor parts dealer. This issue makes me even more timid about dealing with suppliers.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.