Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Started Tapping Maple Trees Today

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:59 pm    Post subject: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We got off to a slow start, but had 650 buckets hung by 4:00 this afternoon. Temps warmed from 17F to 38F at 1:00 and we got about 2" of sap snow this afternoon, and it is still snowing.
There were 6 of us today, 3 generations of family. Today I was the Elder, so I got to drive the 5230, by their choice. Tomarrow one of the uncles will be up, so he will be in the tractor, but I have a patch of trees that blew over during Huricane Sandy. They were lodged and "widow makers", but recent winds dropped them to the ground, so I will clean up the mess while the rest complete hanging the 1200 buckets we will hang this year.

Mo 1032D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Other than being chilly and some work going on, looks like a good way to enjoy the family. At least you had a cab to ride around in. Just curious how much syrup do you end up yielding from your trees? As always nice pictures, you have some pretty country up their.

McKerrow630
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Holy-molie, thats some serious tapped Loren. But yeah better "button-down the"taps" "" the snow is ah blow'en with who gives ah-crap windchill. Icey roads and 3 to 4 foot drifts. Don't know if it will poop-out before it gets to yeah. Nutty's "snowbiz" would do well here. Good luck on your syup season. Take Care

1370rod
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loren when the sap starts flowing do all the buckets need to be emptied daily? Does your operation bottle and sell syrup under a family label? Rod.

Michael Beeker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Loren, we have a friend here in NW Ohio who also has a long history of his family making maple syrup. They're on their 4th generation with the fifth one due in a couple months. I would like to buy some of that famous Clinton Camp Maple Syrup if you'd sell me some. Just name your price. Can taste it already !! E-mail is open for address.

Thanks, Mike

McKerrow630
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I like your idea Rod, so if I send the "bubble-rap" and a jar. But I can totally understand if its a "no-sale" wit that many generations hee hee.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rod,
When it really runs the buckets run over on a less than daily basis, Keeps us hopping and the evaporators have to be honking for 18-20 hrs per day. Not much time for sleep for a couple of us when the sap is really running. I can remember back when I was 5 or 6, having to make the early morning treck with Dad and Mom across the fields in a trailer behind the 310 crawler or the SC from the sap house back to our home at 3:00Am. I don't know how my Dad and Mom did it. My mother was a school math teacher and dad was always at the dealership to unlock the door in the morning. They made a little cubyhole beside one of the evaporators where I could sleep while they tended the evaporators and canned syrup, in the wee hrs of the night.
Loren

denverslim
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So, Loren, and I"m serious here. How can we buy and get you to send us a quart of this stuff? I"m facinated...slim

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Won;t be any sap running today on this side of the hill Loren! Yesterday was high 30's with a warm, light breeze. At 6AM today it's froze solid and 20 with a cooooold west wind!

oldmisterbill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Started Tapping Maple Trees Today Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gee it so reminds me of when I was a kid growing up in Massachusetts. We always had a canner of sap on the stove during sugar season. There was a big maple out by the garden that we would put 3-4 spouts in. Simmering it down made a very light almost no amber. That is still hoe I like it. Oklahoma isn't the place to make syrup. You live a beautiful life up there.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.