Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall M serial#

View previous topic :: View next topic  
billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:29 pm    Post subject: Farmall M serial# Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Traded for a M today. Didn't really want it,but got a good trade. Now running propane,but I want to go to gas, or trade it away.I was wondering about the serial #. The number FBK148242 makes it a 47 model. What is the meaning or reason for the prefix CH and the suffix X20?

Farmallhal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M serial# Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The X20 suffix indicates a Cotton Harvester and can only assume the CH prefix stands for the same thing as CH is not listed as an official prefix in the IH Tractor Data Book by Guy Fay. I believe cotton harvester tractors also have flanged axle housings on the wheel side which should be very obvious, Hal.

billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M serial# Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks. I know little to nothing about Farmalls. This one is very hard to get started and keep running. After it starts and dis a few times, and gets a little warm, it runs like a dream. What's a good starting point to set my start and load screws?. The load may be right, but the start is backed WAY out. I'd like to get it starting better if I can.I'd really like to keep it, and change it over to gas, but I could only use it around my place, as I'm not equipped to haul it. I haul Ford Ns all over, but this is a monster compared to them.

rustcollector
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M serial# Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The MCH and X20 prefix and suffix to the serial number do indicate M "Cotton Harvester". It should have a round flanged axle housing that would take six bolts where the high lift housing would be added to reverse the direction and lift the tractor 11 inches.

David R Inman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M serial# Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree that the x20 means it was a former cotton harvester,
and should have the flanged rear axels.
Also, you probably know the LP system was an aftermarket
conversion, as no M's were LP from the factory.
Depending on what type of carb you have, you may still be
able to fallow what's in the I &T book for the Super M to toon it
up better.
Also, minus the cotton harvester history, a 1942 M, running,
driving, PTO and belly hydrolics, no 3pt, fair tires, single frount
end, and a fresh coat of paint brought $1200 just under two
weeks ago in Phx Az.

billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall M serial# Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll just play with it. I guess its just like an Idle mixture and main jet on a gas carb. I don't plan to keep it, but I'd like to get it starting better. I don't want to put money in it,as it's a break even at best right now. It has 1/8 tank and I hate to keep wasting it. I may try to trade the propane for a gas setup for it, but that's about it.

billy boy2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M serial# Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a picture of it. If/when I can get it tuned a little better, I think I'll stick it in the classifieds. If one of you guys wants to trade a Ford N or beat up Jubilee or Workmaster for it, get in touch with me.

Last edited by billy boy2 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:44 am; edited 1 time in total
roger hall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M serial# Reply to specific post Reply with quote

email your location to me----i"m in oh

roger hall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall M serial# Reply to specific post Reply with quote

case1950@hotmail.com

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.