Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Trickle chargers, batteryminders?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leon
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:21 am    Post subject: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone here know enough about batteries to render a judgement regarding Batteryminder's claim, and other brands too I suppose, of, after the charge is complete, going into a de-sulphating mode to clean and prolong the life of the battery/plates?

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the product actually works as advertised, desulfation is actually beneficial to the battery.

I just use the $20 Shumacher automatic battery maintainers. Good for 6V or 12V. Tractors always start right up.

Nebraska Cowman
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:03 am    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think they are a waste of time. I never have used one. Have batteries that set all winter without being charged and they seem to last a long time.

MN Mike
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First let me say that my 340 tractor battery is my old pickup battery so it's not new by any means. I keep a battery tender on it all winter and I've been able to start my 340 a lot easier in sub-zero temps. I notice it if I don't have that battery "topped off". Like cowman, I don't put a tender on equipment that's going to stand still all winter. I pull a battery cable and call it good.

DanR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Desulfation is not a new idea. I doubt that a small charger is capable of this. The idea is to hit the plates with a very high amperage charge for a short time. This knocks off some of corroded lead that sinks to the bottom of the case. This is done at the beginning of the regular charge. If enough lead is collected in the bottom of the case it can short out the plates. I don't think reinventing the battery is a good idea.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't know about the desulfating, I have the same ones as mkirsch, leave them connected all the time. Far as I'm concerned they are excellent. There are also regular chargers that change to the maintenance phase once charged rather that overcharging. I have 7 tractors, and without the maintenance charger, if I want one to move snow, etc, the battery is dead, the one usually in the way that I have to move is also dead. Mine are all inside. If outside you have to have access to electricity within a reasonable distance and make sure the units are waterproof.

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nebraska cowman wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:03:22 02/20/13) I think they are a waste of time. I never have used one. Have batteries that set all winter without being charged and they seem to last a long time.

I used to have the same opinion, but it seems that batteries are not of the same quality as they used to be, even though the prices have gone through the roof. I have 2 of the Schumakers and use them. They are a whole bunch less costly than a new battery. I haven't needed to replace a battery since buying and using the maintainers.

John G. Hasler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:53 am    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> Desulfation is not a new idea. I doubt that a
> small charger is capable of this.

It"s quite capable of it. You charge a capacitor from the line and then discharge it quickly through a transformer, producing a short high-current pulse. The average power can be low.

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:07 am    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i got/use four of these Schumacher Automatic Microprocessor Controlled Charger/Maintainer, 6/12V

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 3:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 4 BatteryMINDer brand charger / desulfator / maintainers that I rotate among aproximatly 20 units during off season storage.

They do a good job and will remove sulfation from battery plates over time. The BatteryMINDer brand is also safe for sealed AGM batteries, while some cheaper charger / maintainers are not designed for AGM or GEL batteries and will over time dry them out and ruin them.

Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't agree on battery quality. I remember when you were lucky to get 3 years out of a battery. I have a 2004 JD and a 2004 Kubota and they both still have the original battery in them. Same thing with car batteries, they last a lot longer. A good battery has a 84 month warranty and 3 years free replacement.

Jon Hagen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think a big part of longer battery life is the much superior alternators with solid state regulators. The batteries no longer have to deal with over / under charging and deep cycling that is so common with a generator with an inaccurate mechanical regulator or no regulator at all.

IH fan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Phil Tibbetts wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:12:25 02/20/13) I can't agree on battery quality. I remember when you were lucky to get 3 years out of a battery. I have a 2004 JD and a 2004 Kubota and they both still have the original battery in them. Same thing with car batteries, they last a lot longer. A good battery has a 84 month warranty and 3 years free replacement.

I'm not sure about today's quality... my wifes car, '05 (build date in April) Lincoln LS with 53K is on it's 3rd "quality" battery.

Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

May be a problem with the electrical system. I remember back in the 60s I bought a new Pontiac and went through 3 batteries in a bout 6 months. That is when they first came out with idiot lights. I put in a regular amp gauge and noticed that the meter was jumping all over the place. With my brother in law's mechanical skill he found the ground wire from the engine to firewall was loose. Tightened it up and problem solved.

point3dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Trickle chargers, batteryminders? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just my 2 cents worth, I use a 12volt cell phone charger with alligator clips on my battery twice a month and the tractor starts good. Dave K

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.