Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

massey harris 44

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
olivermasseyman
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:07 pm    Post subject: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i can"t find the tag for the serial number anywhere, trying to tell if its a reg 44 or a special

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so many differences you can tell before you even get to the #. special has the heavy cast hubs vs the light car rims on the 44. also has a step up platform , while the 44 only has just the flat platform. special is also longer wheelbase. this is a few things that jump out at you before your even at the tractor.

Dick H in NY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 44"s serisl number should be stamped on top of transmission case, right behind PTO/Belt pulley shifter handle.

the haulin harris
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i also think the specail had throttle on steering colum in stead of between your legs

english
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My goodness,the stupid replies show these are not Massey people replying.Dick H has the correct answer.Forget all the engine and rearend numbers.Check the trans cover.

mark49
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mr. English, I highly doubt that you have as much time working on the larger Masseys as I do. Working in a field may be another matter. The numbers stamped into the transmission CASTING only tell you the what the transmission originally belonged to. If you have not seen a 44 with a 277 or a 30 with a 260, I would suggest it is you who is not a Massey person. The 49 in my sig refers to my 44GR, serial no. 7958, frame cast on 4/19/49.

missouri massey man
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can go by the recommendation by DickH only if you can be guaranteed it is a totally uncompromised unit with nothing having been changed from the factory from date of manufacture. However,Mark49 is absolutely correct about so many mix/matched engines to rear ends all with subtle differences of which he points to several very well.

It may take just a little more time and experience with the old Masseys before you can absorb enough with a quick look to tell on your own. Hang in there and be patient, the knowledge will come very easy.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2nd that, i have been around the 44 and specials since 5yrs. old and sure can tell the diff. at a distance without looking at the tag! also he was saying he cant find the tag!

english
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would suggest I probably have twice as many Masseys as you have and have been around,on and used them for nearly 70 yrs.Serial numbers are always stamped on the top of the transmission cover!!!

missouri massey man
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

....but how revelant would that number that is stamped on the top of the case be if that housing had been swapped out with a donor tractor? Are we saying here that the serial number of the tractor goes with the rear end and not the engine and front half of the frame even though a regular 44 rear end could have been installed on a 44 Special front half?? I am now totally confused and need enlightenment. Do not read anything into this other than a simple request for input.

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a resent auction that had a Massey Harris.Serial # and # on transmission read 44GR. Engine was a 382, Hood & grill were from a 555 and the wheels were from a 44 special. just curious what model was this?

missouri massey man
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG RUH wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:57:10 02/24/13) There was a resent auction that had a Massey Harris.Serial # and # on transmission read 44GR. Engine was a 382, Hood & grill were from a 555 and the wheels were from a 44 special. just curious what model was this?

I'm thinking I was at that same auction. The name of the small town in Illinois is now escaping me, but if the MH Hybrid you are describing isn't the same one, it has to be close to it....what WAS the name of that town ??? Lots of tractors in pretty rough condition as well as the sheds, barns and all.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIG RUH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:21 pm    Post subject: Re: massey harris 44 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hecker

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.