Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Timing on 9N Ford

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alexis Zeigler
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Timing on 9N Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1938 9N Ford. Seems to be in good shape overall. Someone did a good job rebuilding I think. The tractor is part of a project called Living Energy Farm. Our intent is to convert it to woodgas. One trick with woodgas is that one needs to advance the timing as the woodgas is slower burning than gasoline. I see in the manual that there is not a timing mark on the crankshaft (?). Is it possible to advance the timing on this tractor? I am accustomed to the standard rotation of the distributor to adjust timing as is common on older engines, but this one seems different. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Alexis

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Timing on 9N Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Alexis........the weird 4-nipple frontmount dizzy is timed to 1/4" per picture in I&T FO-4 and points are set to 0.015"; and recommended sparkies are AutoLite 437's at 0.025".

HOWSOMEVERS: there is an external screwdriver timing adjust on the left side of the dizzy body. You doubt? Go look. When the LOW COMPRESSION (6.0:1) 1939 flathead engine was designed, it was designed for 70-octaine gasoline. The quality of gas was variable and the farmer could change the timing of the 4-nipple dizzy by diddlin' the external timing adjust. I'm not certain how much retard the external screw adjust was, but I'm thinkin' 6*-retard. Does this sound like what yer lookin' fer???

And surprizingly enuff, during WW2, Colman white gas was more readily available than rationed 70-octane. You just retarded yer dizzy.

You do know ittza 2-bolt, 15-min job to remove yer 4-nipple dizzy, don't you? Just un-snapple yer capple and letter dangle. Carry yer dizzy into the kitchen table and change/adjust yer points (0.015"). Installation is a reversal of the removal ...except... finger start the 2-bolts and then install yer rotor. Now twist yer rotor so the OFFSET tang drive fits the OFFSET camshaft drive slot. Now tighten yer 2-bolts and re-snapple yer capple. Simple, eh?

Remember to "polish" the INVISIBLE corrosion from between the points (0.015") after installation and adjustment. Me? I use a clean $1-bill clamped between the points and pull. Iff'n yer really cheap, tear a strip from HEAVY brown paper grocery sack and use that.

Recommend you squander $25 (cheap) for the I&T FO-4 manual. It even has pictures fer the reading challenged. ........Dell, yer self-appointed sparkie-meister

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Timing on 9N Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check yyer service mamul. you static time a front mount ont he bench as Dell said.

then you have preciuos little adjustment via the screw on the side.

good luck

wood gasification huh?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:22 am    Post subject: Re: Timing on 9N Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To quantify, plus 12 and minus 12 crank degrees relative to center of adjuster.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Timing on 9N Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i'm impressed it has that much!

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: Timing on 9N Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

soundguy wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:24:41 02/21/13) i'm impressed it has that much!
When handling the adjuster, it seems like such a small movement (+/- 0.2 inch) or =/- 6 distributor degrees.

Shoepeg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:38 am    Post subject: Re: Timing on 9N Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well put, LOL!

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Timing on 9N Ford Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What Dell says. There is no rotating that distributor. You need to take a look at the I&T FO$ manual. There is a 3 degree or so adjustment of the timing and it will be clear to you once you look at the manual and have the distributor in your hand.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.