Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich Iowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Was looking through a box of movies and found a tape that I recorded a show from IPTV back in 1999 called Death of the Dream, about old farmhouses. The documentary was a compliment for a book written by William Gabler. Lots of very neat old pictures of the old farmhouses and general farm pictures, along with commentary from some old characters speaking of days gone by.

I know this goes way back but does anyone else remember this show? I would love to find a copy on DVD before my VHS copy wears out. Couldn't find it for say on IPTV's website, but not too suprised by that since it was so long ago.

Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found some new VHS of it on Amazon. Looks like it's a no-go on the DVD. I'd think you could take your copy to someone and have them make a DVD. not hard and shouldn't be expensive.
AaronSEIA

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVS Pharmacy can send it off and make a copy on DVD for $19.99. I just checked into this last week.

Rich Iowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I suppose the documentary was made before DVD was the main media. Hadn't thought of taking the VHS to someone to get transfered to DVD.

James Babcock
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got a DVD burner from Wally World for 80 bucks, I think, used it to copy some VHS tapes to DVD. The VHS tapes were of old home movies (8mm) that I had taken to a photo store for them to make into VHS back around 1990. If I'm still around in 25 yrs, reckon I'll have to burn the DVD into something else?

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:41 am    Post subject: Re: Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a converter too - by Roxio. Have not tried it out yet...need a long cable to connect my computer to the TV.

641Dave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I'm gathering that was a PBS documentary? I just emailed the Twin Cities Public Television organization asking if this was available on dvd. I'll let you know what they say.

Last edited by 641Dave on Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:59 am; edited 1 time in total
641Dave
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's the response I got from PBS.

Dear Dave,
Thanks for contacting member supported tpt. We appreciate hearing from you regarding the program Farmhouses in The Heartland: The Death of The Dream.

We do make the DVD available with a pledge of support to tpt for $75. Please call us Monday - Friday from 9 - 5 to sign up for that.

Also we frequently broadcast this program but right now it is not in our broadcast schedule, however we will let our Programming Department know of your interest in seeing it on tpt and let you know if it is scheduled in the future.

You might also enjoy browsing the programs website at: http://www.pbs.org/ktca/farmhouses/

Please let us know if you have any questions or concerns.

Regards,
Bonny
Member Services
Phone: 651-229-1300

Rich Iowa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Death of the Dream: Farmhouses in the Heartland Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Dave, I appreciate you checking into that, even though you didn't have to. I think I will send PBS an email myself and see what they say. Seems a bit expensive, but when you consider all the good shows on PBS, it's not quite so bad. Thanks again!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.