Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What did I see?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
37chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:29 pm    Post subject: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A truck comming toward me the other day, and it looked like a Ford truck body couldn't tell for sure. but fairly new looking, it had a a split windshield. Looked kind of cool. Does any auto maker, make a split windshield now? Stan

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you think it was a custom made truck?

I saw a tractor trailer that passed me on the interstate one time years ago with two steer axles. I've always wondered what the purpose of the two axles were for.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:40 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do you think it was a custom made truck?

I saw a tractor trailer that passed me on the interstate one time years ago with two steer axles. I've always wondered what the purpose of the two axles were for.

Dalex
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The two axles are to carry more weight. I've mostly seen them on crane trucks where the boom is carried forward.

Randysouthmississippi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some of the heavy haulers here in the south mainly oil field have a few trucks with double steer axles.
Most all of the work over rigs on the road have two steer axles.

scotc
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In Japan (and I would guess other places where space is at a premium) they tend to run single drive axles with tandem steers.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

None I have seen, but two windshields are preferred for truck owners. A truck owner will get a DOT fine for a cracked or broken windshield, it is cheaper to only replace one side instead of a whole one piece windshield. But it is cheaper for a manufacture to just slap in a one piece when they build the truck.

waltdavies
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Large truck cranes have two steering axles because of the weight over the front end.
Walt

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Big cement trucks and oilfield bed trucks will have tandem steer axles and it's getting common to see triple drive axles as well as tandem steer axles.

Michael Price
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe the truck was armor plated. Ive seen new pickups, SUV, and Cadillacs with split windshields because they are armored.

BAnNC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could it have been made for use as an armored car? They have split windshields cause of the bullet proof glass. Just thinking.

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: What did I see? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we have some of those around here too, they are armored vehicles, some carry money transfers some carry other stuff that is valuable, the big trucks with muliple steer axles are for weight distribution, we're seeing straight trucks with as many as 6 axles under them to comply with the interstate weight laws as the demand for larger trucks hauling more material in the vocational market, dump trucks and cement trucks out here can have 1 steer axle, folowed by 2 air lift non powered but steerable axles, then 2 powered drive axles, followed by 1 high lift non powered but steerable axle, this last one when in the raised position will rest on top of the truck body this along with oversize bodies, allows a truck that used to be limited to a gross weight of 50,000 lbs to be able to haul 80,000 lbs, while this setup cant use some roads due to the bridge laws, it does help tremendously as here in the west vocational trucks have to run longer distances to deliver their products, 2 of the companies delivering in this area have to run around 150 miles each time they bring a load this means it takes awhile, to make up for this more material is brought per load,

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.