Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

o-ring renewal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
C. Amick
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would imagine that the ethanol in gasoline would make them swell, especially E85 gasoline. Gasoline swells the rubber o-rings on my chain saw fill cap. Don't know what kind of permanent damage you might do to the o-ring, though.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PB Blaster will do what you are asking, soak it a few then work it with your fingers I have used it in a pinch before and never had a leak,, but the oring must be complete and not cut

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

want to add not to use on one that has been damaged by extreme heat and burnt hard

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having had a lot of experience with elastomeric o-rings in my career I can say that the best thing to do is replace them. When an o-ring hardens it has been weakened and is no longer a vaible seal. Putting them in a "soup" to swell and soften them, and there are a number of things commercially available that will do that, only serves to make bad matters worse. Your plan IMHO is a recipe for a disasterous failure.

Sorry for the negative answer but I have had too many times seen bad things happen and result in spending thousands as a result of trying to save pennies.

Jim

Mathias NY
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It depends a lot on what type of material the oring is made of. Some materials will never soften once the original elasticity is lost. For most common oring materials, the shelf life is less than 10 years.

I agree with Jgarner, replace it rather than try to salvage a $.50 oring.

Good luck.

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think he is trying to cheat at a leaky liner o-ring. Best bet there is to pull the liners, new o-rings, and clean all the junk out of the block.

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Again I said I did this in a bind, try being 75 miles from a store to work on a leak and not have the right oring,,, I ALWAYS replace them if at all possible

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim, no way would I reuse a oring on a sleeve EVER I was talking on a flare type hyd hose application only,,, I know one thing from now on I am keeping some things to myself for sure,, getting tired of getting reamed for it

JGarner
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CNT, my repoonse was not aimed at you in any shape or form. Just trying to pass on career knowledge of been there done that. Your answer seemed OK especially when qualified about hard burned rings. Your responses are always spot on!!

Jim

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm wondering if he isn't trying to avoid splitting a tractor to replace the $2 o-ring. If the o-ring is made to not swell in hy-tran, I doubt if you will be successful unless it swells all other o-rings it comes in contact with as well which would not be good if it is indeed an o-ring in a transmission. Kind of guessing on his intent here from reading another post.

case trader
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2013 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: o-ring renewal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wow didn't expect this much response,what i'm referring to is the shifter shafts on the 90 series I was looking for something to put on the shaft and work in to o-ring from outside so as not to contaminate trans.no big leak just messy if you park inside.and takes all morning to fix right.the one I realy enjoy is between the eng. and trans housing on the 96 series that takes all afternoon and the o-ring cost 1.49 from case

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.