Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Parts interchange?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:16 am    Post subject: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the post below about the Case/Cummins engine someone said that the Magnum was a mostly IH design so I was wondering how many parts would interchange with the old IH tractors. The Magnums are getting older now and I'm sure some people will be looking for good used parts and if the old IH parts will fit then that would make it much cheaper to repair the Magnums. That would be useful info for Magnum owners.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

THe Magnum full power shift trans was on the IH drawing boards during the time of the merger. It was a total new design, and after the merger the CDC engine was the odvious choice for power. That said, It was a totally different tractor than any Case or IH tractor ever produced.
Loren

Case Nutty 1660
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

3pt hitch had some IH componants

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jon f mn wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:16:38 02/24/13) I was wondering how many parts would interchange with the old IH tractors.

The paint.

A magnum would look better in Power White tin /Power Red wheels anyway.

The diehard IH guys are always getting bent the that the Magnums are really IH tractors, but Tennaco-Case bought IH, not a merger, not a joint venture, BOUGHT. If someone buys something from you, it isn't yours(design/name etc..). NOW Their name has been replaced by a short line company's name that made balers and manure spreaders. Shows how important they are.

Whose name is still proudly out in front???

Straw Boss
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:17 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure but I think some of the 3 point hitch linkage will interchange with IH tractors but thats about it.
The transmission and rear end came from the IH side but was all new for IH so none of it interchanges anyway.
The cab was IH also which was evident by no leg room but Case made the doors open the right way and put a good dash in it.

Joe Young
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Whose name is still proudly out in front???"

FIAT

;-)

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If this is true how do they get 75% IH?

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jon f mn wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:21:37 02/24/13) If this is true how do they get 75% IH?

Delusional? Possibly poor ventilation/exhaust leaks in their cabs? maybe from their doors being backwards?

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup, the square turnbuckles in the lift links. LOL
Loren

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They demonstrated a 1066 on our farm once, dad said
it was so noisy inside they should have run the
exhaust inside so at least it would quiet outside
then.

CDN 400

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Park a 5288 and a 7120 side by side walk around behind,they look almost identical other than case axles.That being said you can upgrade a 88 series diff to a magnum.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You guys won't give an inch either will you. Sure the power shift in the magnum was new and never used in IH but it was on their drawing board. All the castings for the transmissions and final drive merely slightly modified to fit in the power shift over the syncro IH was using on the 50 series IH tractors. Case moved all the equipment for making the final drives from the farmall works to Racine after the merger. The rear axles, hubs etc were also modified from the 50 series. The whole hydraulic system is just up graded from the 50 series. If you ever tore down a 5288 IH and a 7120 you would readily see all the direct relationship . Will the parts inter change, some, not many. The next series of Magnums were greatly modified also, made heavier etc and even more electronic controls. Whole new bunch of engineers. Some from Case, some from IH, mostly new to system.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:58 am    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Case had a better cab than a IH 1066. I cussed the fuel tanks over the engines on all IH tractors from 460-560 on up to the 86 series. Then I started having to work on the 70 series Case with the dog house over the rear of the engine. I quit cussing IH. My motto was and still is. All tractor manufactures should just put a trailer behind the tractor to mount a fuel tank and batteries on because it is clear no one has figured out a reasonable place to put them. Case and Deere side swing outs are pretty nice but only because we no longer mount cultivators, corn pickers etc.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 1:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Now calm down Pete, I and others said that the magnum trany was on the IH drawing boards before the merger. The fact is however that Case was co owner in CDC engine company also, and IH had nothing to do with that end of the tractor. You can also park a 2590 next to a 7130 and see similarities. The bigest problem that I saw as a Case dealer, was after the merger, we no longer had direct dialoge between dealers and managment. We as dealers becam a number rather than a name. They did asign numbers to their dealers back in the day. We were #45.
Loren

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 2:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Parts interchange? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, all calmed down. I have looked up the history on the Consolidated Diesel Corp a few times. Just to add. When people complain about IH tractors I usually tell them, I know a whole lot more of the problems with them than you do. I had to repair them for over 40 years. Still do some. I never really got comfortable with the Case line. Had too much stuff in my head already by the time we got together. New ownership at dealer drove me away. John Deere dealer offered me a job and I finished out my active working years with them, and they treated me great . I never really cared for green but when he is the one signing your pay check you owe it to him to do your best. We got along great. Two cylinders and all.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.