Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

401 Brake Discs

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hobby Farmer 52
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:52 pm    Post subject: 401 Brake Discs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally got around to looking at the brakes on my 401 Super Diesel. Does anyone know the thickness of a usable brake disc? If these are too far worn where is the best place to get new ones? Since Santa brought me a new tractor this year I need to thin the herd some and this Case may go. Does anyone have an idea of what I should ask for it?
Thanks for your help. DJ

oldproudvet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 401 Brake Discs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had one here in Central MN at a large consignment auction. New rubber, narrow front installed, wide front on a pallat to go along, new rubber, fresh paint and an aledged fresher engine. It idled and ran up well. It sold for $1650

400nick

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 401 Brake Discs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where are you located might be interested in the 401

chuck machinist
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:23 am    Post subject: Re: 401 Brake Discs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have have her broke down to the disks,check them for flatness.There is no specific thickness indicated in the service manual,but i would think if you show 3/32 between the face and rivit you would be safe.The important thing is that they are flat and clean.

1031D
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: 401 Brake Discs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of the newer disks are bonded and grooved. If the grooves are gone I'd replace them. If they are filthy or oily I soak them with brake cleaner and then either heat them up or find a hot water parts washer and let them soak for a bit. I just wrote an article for Old Abe's News on the brakes in these tractors if it helps any.

Last edited by 1031D on Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Hobby Farmer 52
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:15 am    Post subject: Re: 401 Brake Discs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You are correct. The discs on my tractor are bonded and the grooves are almost gone so I think replacement is in order. Is the Old Abe News you speak of something you can subscribe to?
Thanks, DJ

caseman-d
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: 401 Brake Discs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have the right parts guy he can cross the old part numbers to newer numbers but the dealers are way high on them. A&I and Hy-capacity can provide them much cheaper. I used Hy-capacity disc and other brake parts on my 900b LP. I had actually bought them for my 730CK but had a close call with the 900 so they are about all the same.
caseman-d

Hobby Farmer 52
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 401 Brake Discs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am located in Central Wisconsin

Nick Nelson

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: 401 Brake Discs Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your interested in selling it you can email me at nicknelson@frontiernet.net would love to see some pics thanks

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters