Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD 720 CLUTCH

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jdman8630
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:56 pm    Post subject: JD 720 CLUTCH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

putting clutch back together- there is a inside washer (beveled)(1)-- bearing(2) --- the outside bearing retainer(you can see with the clutch drive off)(3) question is which way does the inside (beveled) washer go in (dished out or in)

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 720 CLUTCH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is an exploded parts diagram on the John Deere web site.
The service manual uses several pages of illustrations and diagrams for assembly.
Best way to avoid broken parts, frustration and risk of a runaway tractor. Is to call 1-800-522-7448 and order the manual.
Did you change the inside fiber disk?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: JD 720 CLUTCH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

B&D, I have long wondered, are you selling manuals?

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: JD 720 CLUTCH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess it would make one wonder if someone is pushing an agenda to sell manuals if they suggest it constantly.
To the ones on here that actually work on and rebuild our own tractors, it is easy to see why B & D always suggest a manual.
It is fine to ask questions if you have the manuals and are stumped, but too many times folks are throwing a question that would be answered if they owned and read the manuals.
I also highly suggest not skimping to buy the I & T brand, they can get you by but lack a lot of detail in many cases.
No way I would tackle this stuff without the manuals.
Case in point, while replacing the oil seal on the tranny side of the Power shaft PTO on a 730, it would appear that the shaft can be driven out. NO SO, it has a gear pump inside the housing and the housing with idler gear must be removed before the shaft will come out without severe damage.
The manual makes it crystal clear.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: JD 720 CLUTCH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would not dispute that a manual is best, but there are sometimes subtle learned things that are not in the manual.

Just wondering if B&D is selling manuals.

730d se
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 720 CLUTCH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen B & D on here a for long time and he has never tried to sell me or anyone else a manual since he gives Ma Deere's toll free number and/or their web site as a point of sale.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:02 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 720 CLUTCH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never knew who it was, thanks.

jdman8630
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: JD 720 CLUTCH Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YES I DO HAVE THE REPAIR MANUAL- PIC ISN"T CLEAR ON DIRECTION OF INNER (BEVELED) WASHER. THIS IS FOR THE BELT PULLEY HAND CLUTCH. THE ORIGINAL WAS FLAT, BUT HAD BEEN BEAT UP FROM BEARING REPLACEMENT YEARS AGO. I DECIDED TO REPLACE W/ NEW. THE ONE FROM DEERE IS BEVELED / DISHED.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Restoration and Repair Tips All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.