Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Used re-ground crank suppliers?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:53 am    Post subject: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My neighbor needs a new crankshaft for his 1950 8N sidemount. Option A is for him to buy one already re-ground w/ the correct bearings. Option B is to buy a used one from a reputable source & have it reground here. What are your recommendations for suppliers for a re-ground crankshaft?

For Option B, John Smith is temporarily out of stock & I've already sent an email to Jim UT. Other sources are welcome.

Thanks!

Mike OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked with Just 8N's? Don't know if they have any, but they did help me out with a part a while back.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 10:53 am    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce.........re-grinding a crankshaft is common automotive machine shop procedure. Why do you think yer neighbor needs to buy one? .........Dell

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dell (WA) wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:53:24 02/25/13) Bruce.........re-grinding a crankshaft is common automotive machine shop procedure. Why do you think yer neighbor needs to buy one? .........Dell

From what Bruce said it seems pretty clear they have already determined the old crankshaft is not regrindable. Cracked and/or badly galled or reground to the limit crankshafts are a common occurrence especially in 70 year old engines. That's why magna-fluxing them before regrinding is also a common machine shop practice.

TOH

Last edited by TheOldHokie on Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NAPA machine shop said the key got loose & wore down the end of the crank & wallowed out the pulley as well.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well duhhhhh.......

I forgot they might have them. I'll tell the neighbor to call.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And another duhhh.....

I didn't think this site would have re-ground cranks.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well if they do not they have new ones LOL. Some times hard to see the forest due to the trees Right?? Lol

Jim.UT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yesterday I took 10 crankshafts to my friendly machinest. My instructions to him were to check them carefully and tell me what each one needs (grind, no grind, how much to grind or just throw it away).

My thinking is that a guy having an engine rebuilt will probably want all his machine work done by the same guy. Also your local machinest will be more willing to stand by the finished product if he's the one who did all the machine work.

My plan is to sell the aforementioned crankshafts with full disclosure as to what my machinest said needs to be done. He says he has no problem with me giving out his name and phone number. He stands by his work.

Bad news is, this is a project to fill any down time he has so it might be 2 weeks before I have them back.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tnx much Jim! I'll let the neighbor know. My bet is that he needs to move quickly as the grass will need cutting around here in a month & we still need to put the tractor back together after he gets the engine out of the shop.

Jim.UT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I probably won't have anything for him before he needs to move, but I've been wanting to get these cranks to the machinest for about 3 years. Your email was the final push I needed to GET IT DONE!

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a few good cores on the bench (generator, water pump, etc) that I need to just get rebuilt & have spares around. I've got a spare carb & spare front distributor. They are nice to have. Now I know where to find a replacement crank! Tnx

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Used re-ground crank suppliers? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim.UT wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:23:57 02/28/13) Yesterday I took 10 crankshafts to my friendly machinest. My instructions to him were to check them carefully and tell me what each one needs (grind, no grind, how much to grind or just throw it away).

My thinking is that a guy having an engine rebuilt will probably want all his machine work done by the same guy. Also your local machinest will be more willing to stand by the finished product if he's the one who did all the machine work.

My plan is to sell the aforementioned crankshafts with full disclosure as to what my machinest said needs to be done. He says he has no problem with me giving out his name and phone number. He stands by his work.

Bad news is, this is a project to fill any down time he has so it might be 2 weeks before I have them back.
If all it takes is a mic you don't need a machinist. Is your machinist friend going to magna-flux them? If not what are you going to do when a customer tells you the one he bought is cracked and unusable? IMO you are better off having them magna-fluxed and reground to a known good size and selling them certified ready to go. That way nobody gets any surprises.

TOH

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.