Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Gravely Tractor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmall Bob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:35 pm    Post subject: Gravely Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been working on (3) Gravely Tractors, and have (1) working to throw snow. (1) my oldest is/was disassembled complete, and near finished, and the parts Gravely near finished. The parts Gravely I tried to start, but it will not stay going. Checked spark and it was orange, timing rechecked, it is getting gas, and the plug gets wet. Can anyone tell me what I may have over looked? Thank you.
Bob

ray hofstetter
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Gravely Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plug wet after it quits? Too much gas flooding it out....check that the choke is opening and/or carb float...

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Gravely Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull off the plug wire and hold it away from the plug about 1/4" while a helper cranks over the engine. Should see a hot blue spark. Your coil may be getting weak. Hal

Farmall Bob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Gravely Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Hal,
I thought that I read somewhere the spark was suppose to be a strong blue. Will let you know how it turns out. Thank you.

Farmall Bob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Gravely Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Ray,
It starts, but seems as though I have to choke it to keep it going. Then once it starts it will only stay going at the most (3) seconds. I do take the choke off. Thank you for your response.
Bob

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: Gravely Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If this is an L series walk behind goto link below(site has changed)click on manuals on right side of pg,from sub catogory pick walk behind,problem could be carb which others have said,depending on mod of zenith carb,some had a poppet valve in carb body,if this valve stuck open/closed it can cause problem you have,problem could also be in ign system or a combination of both,check at site & see if a service manual listed your mod carb & make/mod mag on eng.
gravely

SuperABen
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Gravely Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gravelys take awhile to warm up to operating temperature before they will run well without the choke in cold weather. That's true even on the best tuned up machine. Try leaving the choke on about half way for a little while.

Make sure your main jet adjustment isn't too rich. Do you have the cast iron or aluminum Zenith?

Ben W.

Farmall Bob
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Gravely Tractor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Ben,

I am in a heated garage, and will be working on it soon again. First thing will be to check that magneto coil, and make sure it has the proper ohms, and check out tha condenser. Thank you.

Bob

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters