Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John Deere D Timing Question Help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
txasylum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am working on a 1928 D. I am at the point of trying to start it, but I have some questions:

1. The flywheel mark is at 3 o'clock on the tick. Number one cylinder is top dead center.

2. Book says governor flange mark should be horizontal to the ground. It is on the D.

Problem: When I turn the flywheel, it sparks/snaps on the up stroke. The crank is only half way to top dead center. It backfires out the intake.

I wonder if the book refers to the horizontal line on the mag rather than on the flange.

Advice?
Thanks

Mark-Ia
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what model of mag are you using?

Jake Winn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When #1 is on TDC, the mag drive coupler should be horizontal. This is true on all Waterloo tractors that I know of and have ever worked on.

txasylum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So it is the coupler between the mag and the flange that should be horizontal. That is what I suspected. Right now the flange is horizontal, which puts the coupler in a vertical position.

This is what I suspected but wanted confirmation.

txasylum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wico C

txasylum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That was it. Whoever had the tractor before me had the timing 45 degrees off. It fired over now.

Again thanks for the help.

gtx1967jewison
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fyi- sh*ttiest mag ever put on a jd.

Earl-IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your mag base mounted with a coupler ??

txasylum
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Earl,

I didn't take the mag off or mess with it, but discovered the previous owner did not have it timed correctly. They had it 45 degrees off. I got it timed correctly I got it to fire on starter fluid. Tonight I plan on putting the gas tank back on and stick some gas in it and see what happens.

skip33652
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on a 1928 D w/base mount mag simply turn flywheel to impulse mark or tdc then loosen mag coupler bolts and rotate magneto till impulse clicks..tighten magneto drive back down and it will be in time. make sure the right plug is firing at the right time. Also check to be sure mag is firing at right time by pulling flwheel through tdc several times. good luck Paul

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere D Timing Question Help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 1927 D and for some reason I remember that the TDC mark on it was different then any of my later Deere's. I think you lined the mark up with the top of the tranny case ? more like 1 o clock ? instead of horz. at 3 oclock position.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters