Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:37 pm    Post subject: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Went out to start the 8N tonight to position it ready to plow the predicted 6-8" of snow coming, and she was flat as a pancake. I wasn't paying attention when I pulled the float charger off, but I suspect I must have hooked it up backwards after the last time I ran the tractor. I wondered why it took so long to register a full charge (weeks).

The battery was showing -0.4volts... Don't know if I can bring it back or not, but I put the float charger back on the right way this time and will check it in the morning to see if the battery is taking a charge. I'm still 6volt positive ground...

I'm over 50 now. Does this count as a Senior Moment?

Razz

es

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It just might!
Ask them for a senior discount if you have to buy a new battery! Smile

Bob Harvey
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope, no senior moment points. You are only a senior when the cashier at the supermarket says "thank-you sir". (there may be other markers) ;^)

Tom N MS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Over 50 senior moment--Yes and it gets worse

Jimmyjack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most float chargers just maintain charge or charge a
very little, you might have to put a real charger on
it to bring it back.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Only way you might and it is a slim chance to save that battery is to discharge it all the way and then some then slow charge it, but even then not a good chance. As for you age my son has marked the battery chargers so he can remember that red is + and black is - and he is in his 20s

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:22 am    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ed S. (IL) wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:37:50 02/25/13) Went out to start the 8N tonight to position it ready to plow the predicted 6-8" of snow coming, and she was flat as a pancake. I wasn't paying attention when I pulled the float charger off, but I suspect I must have hooked it up backwards after the last time I ran the tractor. I wondered why it took so long to register a full charge (weeks).

The battery was showing -0.4volts... Don't know if I can bring it back or not, but I put the float charger back on the right way this time and will check it in the morning to see if the battery is taking a charge. I'm still 6volt positive ground...

I'm over 50 now. Does this count as a Senior Moment?

Razz

es

ED;
NOT, a senior moment!!!! BUT, .....now I understand the statement on yer T-shirt!!!!! Laughing Laughing

Gary Wink

Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:40 am    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey, I resemble that remark! (ouch!) I did get asked the other day if I was eligible for a senior discount... The (obviously older) man ahead of me said he was thankful they didn't ask him!

Just came in from morning chores and the battery now shows +0.46 volts (on the float charger). Will keep an eye on it - maybe it will come back.

es

Bob Purinton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They say that the mind is the first thing to go...
It's the second thing that scares me...whatever that is. Smile

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ed;
Not too sure about this, BUT, I think you may be better off, using a reg. battery charger, with 2amp. charge. Slow charge at 2Amps, would bring the batt, charge faster and keep the plates warmer....JMHO.
Even if it does charge up to full cap, being drawn down so low, may hinder the battery's 'cranking' Amps!!????

BTW...the old Exide battery that you saw on Hermie when you were here, is going on 7yrs in age, and STILL is perkin' like a NEW batt.
Who would'a thunk it????? Laughing Question

Gary Shocked

Ed S. (IL)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I might go swap chargers then, although my normal charger doesn't have the ability to set the charge rate - I was kind of afraid of over charging and blowing up the battery...

es

GB in MT.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't think ya have to worry about blowing up the battery, if the batt. caps have vents, and your charger is not any more than 10 amps!!
If you are worried, just charge with the reg. charger, until it shows 3/4 charge,....then shift back to the trickle charger, to top off the charge.
Then watch yer amp guage, on the "N" to make sure the VR is shutting down at full charge. (Check the voltage at the batt.....key off!!)

Gary Smile

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mind is the 2nd to go & I forgot what the 1st is.

tracman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oops! Hooked up float charger backwards to 6V battery Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ed, the float charger my be going flat as well. The dead battery may too much of a load. You may want to try a higher current (10 Amps) type charger for few minutes to get some volage back on the your plates. Just remeber safety first with eye protection and no sparking at the battery because of the hydrgen gas given off during charging. At my age I have senior hours.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.