Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Deere G front pedestal weight?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:12 am    Post subject: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does anyone know how much a front pedestal of a John Deere G weighs? How about a round tube front end?

I'm trying to figure out how much weight I shaved with my new front end.

Thanks

The Dukester
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the two piece the lower bolster with roll-a-matic weighs
about 285 lbs. without the wheels attatched.

JGPhil

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok farmer show us pic's of your work!! thanks

FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JGPhil wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:25:26 02/26/13) Ok farmer show us pic's of your work!! thanks

Yes Sir!

Note the lack of governor on this tractor, haha!

FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:53 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Dukester wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:11:02 02/26/13) On the two piece the lower bolster with roll-a-matic weighs
about 285 lbs. without the wheels attatched.

Well if that's 285 lbs. the rest of it must be pretty heavy.

Unstyled G Guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just finished mine. Without the front pedestal and radiator,
along with a bunch of other things taken off I got her down to
4,160lbs

2-banger
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

round tube wide front is 600lbs i believe

FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats a very sharp looking tractor, good work on the front end too.

JDPhil

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the pic's good lookin fab work on all of them,if I showed up with that where I pull they would run me off but I still like it.

jpick87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Factoryfarmer, How thick of tubing did you use? And is that 3x3? I really like that setup

Last edited by jpick87 on Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:23 pm; edited 2 times in total
FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jpick87 wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:09:18 03/01/13) Factoryfarmer, How thick of tubing did you use? And is that 3x3? I really like that setup

4x4 and 3/8 wall. It's 10 times heavier than it needs to be but I didn't want to loose too much weight. I kinda had everything figured pretty close to how much movable weight I wanted to end up with.

JDGnut
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd say its going to be strong enough.. haha.. I sure like those brakes... I'm guessing a remote governor, and a mag pickup... should be a fun setup...

Would have been nice if you could have found a center steer rack.. I know there are some for draggesters... or even some automotive manual racks there are closer to the center..

Always figured about 100lbs change with a split front with stock lower.. non rollo.. to an MT front.. with changing to the smaller tires.. I would guess 500 for a Wide front... plus you dropped the front pedistal... and radiator..

Unstlyed G guy... nice job... I wish I would have gotten mine that light... I could get closer... but I have moved on to other toys for now...

Maybe 8-9 yrs ago.. after paint..

Hood Up.. yrs ago...

jpick87
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok thanks. So 3x3 would probably work? I have an A. I wouldnt want to worry about it breaking. I don't need to lose much weight, couple hundred would be plenty. I have always wanted to go to a wide front and that seems really simple and cheap to build. The only thing I would want is the steering rod being inside the frame rails. Any pointers anyone could give as would be awesome on building one. I think I would like to pretty much copy yours! Laughing

Last edited by jpick87 on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JDGnut wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:29:05 03/06/13)
I'd say its going to be strong enough.. haha.. I sure like those brakes... I'm guessing a remote governor, and a mag pickup... should be a fun setup...

Would have been nice if you could have found a center steer rack.. I know there are some for draggesters... or even some automotive manual racks there are closer to the center..

Always figured about 100lbs change with a split front with stock lower.. non rollo.. to an MT front.. with changing to the smaller tires.. I would guess 500 for a Wide front... plus you dropped the front pedistal... and radiator..

Unstlyed G guy... nice job... I wish I would have gotten mine that light... I could get closer... but I have moved on to other toys for now...

Maybe 8-9 yrs ago.. after paint..

Hood Up.. yrs ago...

WOW! That looks like top notch work, I love how you made your hood one piece. I thought about doing that, do you have any pictures from the inside of the hood? Do you still pull much any more?

Not running a governor, I personally don't like them. Also will be running a crank trigger with MSD's new ignition where you can make your timing curve with a laptop.

Last edited by FactoryFarmer on Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
FactoryFarmer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere G front pedestal weight? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

jpick87 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:57:44 03/06/13) Ok thanks. So 3x3 would probably work? I have an A. I wouldnt want to worry about it breaking. I don't need to lose much weight, couple hundred would be plenty. I have always wanted to go to a wide front and that seems really simple and cheap to build. The only thing I would want is the steering rod being inside the frame rails. Any pointers anyone could give as would be awesome on building one. I think I would like to pretty much copy yours! Laughing

Oh yes 3x3 would be plenty. There is a G running around here that has a 1x3 front axle and it has never broke. Like Gnut said, if you get a center steer rack and pinion you should be fine. I actually wanted it on the outside because underneath my hood is kinda "busy"

About the only tip I can give you is measure measure measure! My turned out pretty good but I wish the weights were farther forward, I'm thinking the consumption of beverages when I was building it may have had something to do with that as well Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.