Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kverneland plow

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jake Collie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:09 am    Post subject: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is an auction coming up Friday with a 4-16 Kverneland plow. I was interested until my neighbor said that he heard they don't work well in corn trash. He said they plug easily. Can anyone share their experience on this matter?
Sorry, but they didn't list the model. It is a semi mount with side hill hitch. Thanks.

Harvey 2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never used a Kverneland plow, but have been told that the worlds champion plowing contest the people prefer that plow.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:49 am    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never used one either. I do note the champion plow contests are done on good ground, smooth, with a good sod cut short most of the time - the exact opposite of my rocky, variable, trash-covered corn fields....... What works very well in one may not work at all in the other.....

Did kubota buy them out a year ago, might make parts easier to hp get in the USA?

As tillage got more popular agin around me the past few years, several dealers are stocking Saliford brand big plows.

Paul

Bruce from Can.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All ploughs are not the same. Kenerveland makes round frame , square frame variable width. Mounted semie-mounted,on land,ect. They also have many diffrent mole boards,some for sod,stubble or heavy trash. Which plough are you looking at? For heavy trash, I think you want a short but tall mole board. Key thing I find is space in between plough point and beam, so the corn stalks can flow thrght. I take my coulters off to plough corn stalks. Bruce

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're talking about an old round frame model... they plug about as easily as anything else of their generation. IF you're talking about one of their modern design, long frame, long body plows... they'll plow just about anything under provided the wear parts are in good condition.
To say that it's a 4-16 plow doesn't really say much. They've probably got a dozen model and body combinations that would fit that description. Basically... the one you would want is an AB85HD or AD100 with #8 bottoms. These plows are variable width and auto reset. You also need a heavy class 70-100 hp tractor to carry them... but generally speaking, they do not plug.
If you're looking at old plows like the M or MZ... watch out. If it's got 'hydrein' on the serial tag on the headstock, leave it where it sits. Wear parts are either non-existent or very expensive.... unless it's a good solid plow not needing parts. Then mabey you'll get some use from it... but that is a plow that can and will plug in certain conditions if it's not set up right.

It is worth noting that Kverneland is the dominant plow manufacturer in the world today... so the idea that their plows are no good is pure hogwash. Kuhn would be the other major european plow manufacturer... and Salford is somewhat active on this side.
Kverneland was sold to Kubota about a year ago... so I'd expect that parts are or will be fairly available through that system at some point. I can't imagine that they're going to try an maintain a separate dealer network anymore.

Rod

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pa-in-Law had one he bought just because it was good in corn stalks. Tallest plow I was ever around! I bet it was 4 feet or better to the top of the frame when it was stored. LOTS of clearance under the beam. He loved it in stalks!

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dought if any Kubota dealers will ever start carrying parts for them as for most the Kubota are a sideline for estate type products or a sideline for the major lines and they are not going to risk having trouble with there major line to take on a line that most USA people have never heard of. Would probably drop Kubota first.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got to ask... what possible risk is there to them to carry Kverneland? There's only three players in the plow market today that I'm aware of... Kverneland being one; Kuhn and Salford being the others. Please don't come and tell me that the world is working with IH and Oliver plows that haven't been used or even made in 45 years. Things have basically gone in two camps. no till and european plows... and around here and most of the northeast they've gone to Euro plows. Although Salford is Canadian... the plow is basically of the same style as the euro models with deep frames and long interbody clearances.

Rod

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deere is the most popular with the McCormic and Oliver that became White next. Around here you will not find a dealer that handles your parts.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

But as I also said... you don't find anyone using a plow either... so your point is absolutely moot.
The plows you're talking about, around here... all got parked in a treeline about a generation ago. The rest are Kverneland.

As far as the original post goes... he asked specifically about a Kverneland plow.
If you want to talk about Deere plows... you'll also find that they've used Kverneland bottoms on some of them for a long time now too. Wear parts for Kverneland are only a call away. If your delaer doesn't have them, the warehouse will. If you're desperate, Molboro does as well. Given that wear parts are generally not an item needed overnight.... and can be ordered on stock orders... I don't see what the big deal is. The fact that they may or may not be on a local dealer's shelf is purely irrelevant.

Rod

Art Massing
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jake, I saw one at the NFMS a couple of weeks ago. It looks tall enough to handle stalks. I've attached a couple of pictures.
Thanks,
Art

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Odd to see an AB85 with turnbuckles...

Rod

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The thing is you cannot seem to get it through your head that not all places are like it is where you are and that other places work differently, you just think that because something is avaible in your area it is the same the world over but it is not. Do not assume because something is popular in your area it is popular everyware, that is all I am saying.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

deere might be popular but by far not the best plow made, I'll take a 588 White anyday. A 548 or 565 Oliver was good in their day also. A 710/720 IH isn't much with their cheating bottoms and I don't know enough about a Kverneland to comment except to wonder if they are top of the line why aren't there more of them around?

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: Kverneland plow Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can safely say that 99% of all the plows used in The UK are Kverneland.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.