Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eye4iron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:25 am    Post subject: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Has anone every made a 3 point hitch style trencher? One that is a single bar or blade that is pulled through the ground to rip a small rough trench.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How deep do you want to go? I have used my middle buster plow without the blade to open a trench for a shallow water line. Better than doing it by hand but it was no backhoe!
Thee are some youtube videos of home made trenchers that look interesting if I was to ever want to build one.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When Dad worked for the school,he and the other bus mechanic made one to lay a wire under the football field one time. They used a straight leg from what I think was the rear gang of an old Allis Chalmers cultivator. They had a long, straight,flat rectangular shank. They welded a heavy piece of angle iron to it for the 3pt pins and a yoke of sorts to the top for the center link. They welded a small piece of pipe to the bottom rear of it to feed the wire through.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I built a 3 point ripper a few years ago.
Used it to rip the roots out around some stumps so I could pull the stumps out.
Also used it to open a trench so I could bury the electrical service cable between the house and pole. I still had to did out the dirt by hand but this loosened it up so the digging was easy.
I rarely use it now. If I were to make another one I would make it longer than this one.

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did much the same, except I removed the plowshare from middlebuster and bolted on a shovel from a chisel plow. As I remember, the bolt holes didn't line up exactly right, but close enough for temporary use.

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 2:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not a homemade but this dearborn sub soil can rip you one heck of a trench.

Kirk

Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made one years ago to lay some underground electrical cable. If I could find it now I would take a pic of it. Doubt I can,I had some jilpokes cleaning up some old junk here and they took a lot more than they were supposed to.

JMS./MN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used a chisel plow shank and twisted shovel to dig a trench for electric wire. Just loosely bolted it to the front center of the skidloader bucket, and made several passes in reverse.

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think tough schitt charlie (aka: TSC) sells a subsoiler, middlebuster, and wire or pipe installer kit, pretty cheap, now. I have used a sibsoiler, before, it loosens up the ground, to 18" deep.

eye4iron
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's for all the info. I am going to try a home made ripper if I can't find a trencher closer to home. The closest one I can find to rent is 50 miles away. To much travel time and miles.

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Has Anyone Made A Homemade 3 PointTrench Cutter? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2; a single bottom middle buster and a single bottom moldboard. They are wider than needed, but that's ok.

Living in N. TX. about 6 or so inches deep is plenty.

Mark

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Implement Alley All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.