Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 1600 diesel won't start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chewey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:04 pm    Post subject: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know there have many posts like this but I think my issue is a little different. I have a 1978 Ford 1600 diesel - 2 cylinder. I started it up last weekend and started right up as usual. I always let it warm up a bit and after a bit I went to get on it and my knee accidently hit the throttle off and of course it died. Since then I have not been able to get it started. It will turn over with black smoke coming out. So it is getting fuel but I bled the lines, etc just in case. I don't want to use ether if I can avoid it. It doesn't even sound like it wants to start. How do I know if the starter is turning it over fast enough? How can something go wrong so fast?Ran great one minute - not at all the next. Help and thanks.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's puffing black smoke, fuel delivery is not a problem. What it sounds like to me a hydraulic load is putting a load on the engine as it starts to turn, and the starter can't quite overcome it enough to get the engine rolling fast enough to start.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All that black smoke sounds like a plugged air filter(lots of fuel not enough air). It should have nothing to do with the accidental shut off.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2013 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know it's making smoke and all that... but just change the fuel filter and make sure you've got a good strong flow from the tank.
I'd also check to make sure that you've got power to the glow plugs.... and mabey replace the glow plugs if they're even a bit suspect. I don't know about that one specifically... but most of the older ISM engines I've seen need a decent heat even if the engine is warm...
To me... most signs would point to non functioning glow plugs if you have a lot of black smoke and no start..

Rod

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with Rod in it being a glow plug problem. I'd advise checking for electricity and for how long at the GP.

chewey
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will check on the glow plugs this weekend. I do not think there is a load on the motor that is keeping it from turning over fast enough. I think the starter is original so it is 25 years old. But what I can"t figure out is how fast does the motor need to turn over to start?

Also I noticed that the ground wire off the battery gets warm when I am cranking it over for a time. All the connections are solid - what causes this and can the issues be related? Thanks again.

Jerry/MT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

make sure you have a good ground connection (clean and bright at the chasis connection) and that your cables and terminals are not corroded and of the correct size.

Dave O'Brien
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had a similar problem with mine after it had been sitting for a while. Went to start it about a month ago. The air cleaner (oil bath) got rain in it and had frozen.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it's puffing black smoke, the fuel is already burned. The glow plugs are not the problem. If it was already running before you accidentally shut it off, I think the air cleaner is at least clear enough to start. If it is puffing black smoke, it is firing. Something is preventing the engine from spinning above cranking speed. Yes, it is quite natural for the battery cable to get hot in this situation, especially if the cable is undersize.

Shoepeg
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 1600 diesel won't start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make sure the batt voltage is up to snuff. Put it on trickle charge for a while. When you go to crank it, wrap a gas rag around the breather. It's not as bad as ether but will help kick her off.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.