Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

M , MT step

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cheif
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reading the comments on the difficulty in climbing aboard an MT I am wondering if anyone has devised a step or ladder for that model. Surely some backyard genius has come up with a solution of some kind.
The reason I"m aasking, I bought an M for a winter project last fall, never intend to use it much, but have been mulling over different ideas for a step that wouldn"t interfear with the drawbar movement. Any thoughts?

Hollis Kelton
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 M's and have thought for many years of putting a step of some kind on them. I thlnk putting it on the back would probably cause problems with the drawbar. My thought was to put the step in front of the brakes or clutch side. It could be attached someway with the bolts that are used for the cultivators. Someday I may find time to do that. The older I get, the harder it is to get on and off.

Hollis Kelton
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have 2 M's and have thought for many years of putting a step of some kind on them. I thlnk putting it on the back would probably cause problems with the drawbar. My thought was to put the step in front of the brakes or clutch side. It could be attached someway with the bolts that are used for the cultivators. Someday I may find time to do that. The older I get, the harder it is to get on and off.

RLA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:28 am    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the easiest thing to do would be
install 40 Utility step on a M.. Not sure
if they could be adapted to the MT, I know
420 Step & fenders look good on my Neighbors
MT

Hayfarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:35 am    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on my MT(even harder to get on) my dad built a step rom 2" pipe(I think) with 2 90 elbows and 3 pieces of pipe. Held on by implement hookup under dash on bottom. can describe better if interested.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don"t have a solution for designing a "mechanical" step, but do have a suggestion for "physical" steps.

Start by putting your right foot on the drawbar and push yourself up.

photo IMG_2940.jpg

Lift your left leg and put your left foot on the left platform/axle.

photo IMG_2941.jpg

Use your left hand to hold the governor control rod for balance.

photo IMG_2942.jpg

Push yourself up with your left leg, pull with your left hand, and swing your right leg over the seat frame.

photo IMG_2943.jpg

Do not use the speed control lever to pull yourself up because it could break.

photo IMG_2946.jpg

Put your right foot on the right platform/axle.

photo IMG_2944.jpg

Have a seat.

photo IMG_2945.jpg

These steps have helped me climb aboard "Sparky" our 51M and all three of our 51 MTs.

Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a picture on here of an MT with a step a while back. I climb on just the way James described and so far so good even with snowy boots this winter while plowing. I did get some skateboard grip tape for both foot rests as well as for the two flat surfaces on either side of the seat. Provides for great traction!

pcsaw
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I seen one at the florida flywheelers (mt) with a step on each side on the front very nice looking tractor. The axles had been cut and when I asked the guy if he got tired of catching things with the axles he claimed they had never been cut. Maybe not by him but sombody did. I used to mow my yard with one and caught more then one tree with them. A lot of people break the throttle off getting on and off even on the mc that is about the first thing you want to grab.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Turned the concave side of the wheel outward and set the hub 5 inches from the end of the axle on all three of our 51 MTs.

photo 085.jpg

Edge of tire is flush with the end of the axle; no more worries of catching a tree or fence post.

55deere70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In the corner of this pic you can just see my step. It is a pair of draft shoes, one on each side, welded to a pipe that fits in the mount. A tab on each shoe is welded to fit over the stud and a nut holds them on. They make a good step to get on from the front. I always say, "Before you buy an M, you have to try it on, you kind of wear it!"

M-MAN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The aftermarket Waterloo steps will work but I didn't care for the look. I'm usually too lazy & just ride the elevator up & step over the seat.

cheif
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: M , MT step Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the responses. I've been using the procedure that James described but it is quite a stretch for these old legs, thought maybe I could fashion something to attach to the left hand final drive to shorten the stretch a little.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters