Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A/C motor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pulling39
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:29 pm    Post subject: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Building a 4.25 x 6 Allis motor , will a 12 volt starter turn it over to start?

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not an AC man but unless you go crazy with compression your 6V starter on a 12V system should have more than enough torque to turn it over. We have a real high compression DC Case at 4 5/8 X 5.5 that starts instantly set up that way.

mEl

MLPANKEY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it will turn it over

farmerwd45
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Theres no way a 6v will turn over that kind of cubes..

AC man CA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you have NO idea!

mEl
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did not say a 6V system would turn it, read my post again!!!!

A 6 V starter ON 12V should WHIRL it over. I'd be real surprised if it didn't unless the starter is JUNK, the DC starts so quick the starter don't have time to even warm up.

MLPANKEY

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have ran 15.1 compression and over 400 inches on a six volt factory starter with the switch removed and a post in its place . used a warren winch solenoid and 28 volts combined to start it 16 volt race battery in series with a 12 volt 1000 amp battery. Starter held up better on 28 volts than it did dragging on 12 volts and 1000 amps . jmho I also made some starters with 2.4 kw 12 volt coils from mercruiser and they didnt hold up any better . Heat from low voltage drags kills them all.

Don Karpel
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it does start on 12v, I have the parts to make it 24v

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One other thing you can do to help your starter. Change your centrifugal advance so it starts on tdc then advances up to like 23. Or where you want it. Vic

kmcclung

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: A/C motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If u have trouble put a diesel starter on it thats what I got on mine with 2 1000 cranking batteries its turns slower but it will crank it no matter what compression u end up with it takes some work to get it on there some grinding on trans top for clerence but well worth it. A STOCK starter wont even turn mine over once no matter how many batteries u have hooked to it so if u have trouble try this it works for me anyway.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.