Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Torch cutting tool

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:30 am    Post subject: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ran across this u-tube video of a tool to cut a straight line. Seems to work pretty good. The music in the video is awful, but you might get some ideas.
Untitled URL Link

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm a little surprised at such a nice quality of cut, with using angle iron on angle iron skids. Doesn't look like he did a real good job of sanding the mil scale off either.

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

read the Utube comments,more complaints on the music than comments on the rig. Can a torch really make that smooth of a cut? Bill

CharlieNJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Takes three men and a drill to make a cut that I would have finished, before they even got their rig set up, with just a piece of angle iron as a straight edge guide.
Regards,
Charlie

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is a cut I made on 1-inch plate. When I built a log splitter for my brother-n-law. I didn't think about taking a picture until a few months after making the cut, so the plate set outside the shop in the rain. I didn't knock the slag off, or touch it in anyway, just through it off to the side away from the door.

Well I've been trying for 10-minutes to post a close up picture, but it won't do it. This is the most F__ked up site on the Internet for posting pictures! Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Puddles on Fri Mar 01, 2013 5:50 am; edited 1 time in total
torch guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes a O/A cut can provide cuts higher quality thasn that. The keys to successful Oxyfuel cutting are taking care of your equipment. The torch is NOT a hammer, neither is the tip. Keep the tip clean and properly size your tip to the material your working with and keep it clean. I consistently see folks over size the tip. The next step is correct working pressures, another mistake most folks make is to much pressure or the regulators are bottomed wide open. You local welding supply can fix you up with a chart that explains proper tip size and pressures if your not sure. A neutral flame is mandatory to produce quality cuts. Getting comfortable is one of the main things and the most important is safety. Use the correst #5 filter Lens and back off the regulators when shutting down. You can't do a good job if you can't see what your doing or have a reg screw blowed through yourself.

torch guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice looking job Puddles.

Keith Molden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:19 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with you Charlie. A piece of angle and a hose clamp attached to the tip as a guide & all you have to do is slide the torch along. A lot quicker and easier from what I can see. Just my thoughts, Keith

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks torch guy!
Had to post this with Image Shack.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A magnetic cutting guide is nice accessory to have. I have a cast aluminum one that the tip glides on a lot nicer than a piece of steel. Lining up the preheat holes makes for the best straight line cuts and preheating thicker plate also helps. Off setting the preheat holes is best for bevel cuts. The cut in the video has a slightly rounded edge on one side most likely from too much preheat or having the flame too close. I sometimes use one size smaller tip and a little preheat to get a real nice cut with a thinner kerf. A perfect O/A cut will be cleaner than a sheared cut. On 1/4" and above. I much prefer a cutting torch over a plasma torch.

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ha ha does a shear even cut it that straight and nice ? Skills !

Richard from SE AZ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How many of you guys ever work a torch wearing laced shoes?

JOB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What plasma do you have. Where I used to work we had
a Thermal Dynamics cut master 75. Did a nice job
when it was new. It got a little older and with new
consumables in the torch the finished job was less
than perfect.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:00 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I stopped wearing laced boots only a couple years after getting into the welding trade. Got tired of replacing shoe laces. But the big reason I started wearing pull on boots was working over water. And I always wore a quick release rigging belt as well. That life jacket can only hold up so much weight! Laughing

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: Torch cutting tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Puddles cut wasn't done with a plasma.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.