Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Rosebud tip

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ldj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 11:54 am    Post subject: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just got a cheap welding kit. It works good with cutting tip and the welding tips. With the rosebud when I shut off the gas I get a real bad pop and the thing is hot between the tip and the handle. What might the problem be?

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds about normal.

drjasonvdb

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm no expert but I had that problem with my set and it turned out my rosebud tip was a little big for my setup even though they were sold together. I kicked up my pressure on my regulators about 4-5 lbs on each and the hot handle and popping went away, I can run it all day now and the handle barely gets warm. I've heard a hot handle can have to do with the flame actually being partly inside the handle. (premature ignition) from the flame looking for enough gas to burn. Not sure if any of that is real but kicking up the pressures on both tanks a bit made a world of difference for me.

mdtractormechanic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adjust the flame so it's just off the tip.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our rosebud only works right with the pressures cranked up alot. Even with a green shield I still got my eyes welder burned. You must need something darker then for regular brazing.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shut off the gas first then the oxygen.

Plasticky State

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does sound about right.

Cheap torches
tip too big for tank delivery rate
at some point it will burn up the mixing chamber and orings in the handle
meanwhile get a smaller rosebud
or some name brand gear
you are really supposed to turn off the oxygen first to avoid pops

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Always shut the gas off first.

JOHNNYfromMI
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your acetylene tank can only deliver 1/7 of it total capacity per hour. If your rosebud keeps popping you need to get a smaller rosebud or a larger acetylene tank. Or get the connection to draw off two tanks or more at the same time. The popping you are hearing is the fire going in the mixing chamber. This has the potential to explode in your hand.

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you pickup a set of flashbacks also?

ldj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="Puddles"](quoted from post at 16:18:32 03/01/13) Did you pickup a set of flashbacks also?

Hay, thanks all. 1st, yes I have flashbacks.
I turned up oxy and gas pressures and that took care of it. It shuts down like it is supposed to

aarolar
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike M wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:43:33 03/01/13) Our rosebud only works right with the pressures cranked up alot. Even with a green shield I still got my eyes welder burned. You must need something darker then for regular brazing.

Huh? You burned your eyes brazing with an oxy/fuel setup?

On topic you are going to need to jack your fuel pressure up to about 10psi when using your rosebud be careful not to exceed 15psi with acetylene. Also be sure you have a good seal between the rosebud and mixing chamber if its able to suck any air in there it will pop bad.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Rosebuds aren't made to be throttled back. There
shouldn't be any black soot from the acetylene
when you turn the oxygen on. The higher
pressure/flow of gas moving through the rosebud
helps to cool it off. With too low of pressure it
will backfire(pop) when you shut it off and even
when using it. Getting it too close to the hot
work piece will also cause backfiring even with
the right gas pressures. Flashback arrestors
prevent the backfire from going back through the
hoses and causing a much more serious flashback
and/or explosion. Without knowing the size of your
rosebud, I'd guess about 10 PSI acetylene and 20
to 30 oxygen should be fine. A real big rosebud
needs 15 Acetylene but usually also needs 2 or
more cylinders manifolded together to supply
enough acetylene without drawing the acetone out
of the cylinder(s).

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It was the word "cheap" that inspired my response. Cheap and torches don't go well together.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: Rosebud tip Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No UV rays in oxy/acetylene flame, only infrared and visible light. Are you sure your eyes didn't just get dried out from the heat? With oxy/acetylene welding, shaded glasses are only to block some of the visible light, but a lot of people don't bother with them for using a rosebud---there's no weld puddle you have to be able to see.

Stan

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.