Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT: computer home page problem

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:12 pm    Post subject: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Something made my home page stop coming up. The tool bar across the top was active, and I could go to other sites, favorites, etc., but the main part of the screen was blank. I got the address of what appeared to be the same homepage from another computer and typed it into the address box. My old home page came up but it had this message box on it:

"Congratulations!

Your new Bing Bar is ready to use.

By clicking "OK", you agree to the Microsoft Service Agreement and Privacy Statement. You'll get future updates to Bing Bar and other Microsoft products from Microsoft Update. This software may also download and install some updates automatically.

OK

Keep in the Know - MSN is Your Destination for News, Weather & More!
Learn More"

Apparently, unless I click OK, the box will not go away and I can't access anything else on the screen. There is no way to close this box anywhere on the screen, or by right clicking the mouse, etc.

I'm a little irritated to have to accept something I don't necessarily want tp get the control of my home page back.

Any suggestions?

Stan

RickieBlue
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Start by looking at my picture..you will have to disable bing......

old_bc
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:30 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can uninstall the "Bing" bar by going to the Control Panel and use the Add/Remove programs feature.

pete black
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

its an automatic install, a gift of microsoft when they perform a critical update on your software. mine did it last week and i like to never have remove it. i finally had to uninstall google chrome, do a restore to a specific date and then re-install goggle chrome. like you i hated for someone to take control of my computer.

Stan in Oly, WA
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, all. Very good information.

Stan

OldFarmTractor
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I almost never us Internet Explorer. It seems to work too slowly.

For most websites, I used Mozilla Firefox

I also have Chrome set up but only for Facebook and sites I visit very seldom.

Lastly Safari I used for sites I don't really trust.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think Bing has been spreading viruses. I had a trogan on mine that whenever I searched google it redirected me to Bing.

Ron-MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like someone else said, just uninstall. Microsoft is not the only one that does it, as I just installed adobe acrobat reader this morning and ended up with Chrome, and google tool bar, and had to uninstall both, but not a big deal. I have tried other browsers, and keep going back to IE, as I kept finding sites that do not work well with anything else. Or they are like me, when I used to do some programming, I only tested on IE, as my company used IE exclusively, so why bother testing with anything else, and going through the pain.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Howe do you do that screen capture or screen jpg?

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where is "bing" to delete it. No new program date showing. this is in control panel under programs.

Rog

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The same happened to me this week with Adobe. Got Chrome bar coming up. My compuker got slower than a snail on blacktop road. Also started gettings popups from Macfee, telling me my computer was at risk if I opened some links posted by other posters.
Loren, the Acg.

RickieBlue
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never use IE..I almost always use Firefox, but when looking at websites with photo's I sometimes use Opera, as it has a slidebar at the bottom right to increase or decrease the zoom and is very easy to use!

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hit the PrtScr button, usually above the number pad.

Then open Paint or any other picture editor and hit Ctl V to paste it.

TomH in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adobe tried to install McAffee every time it does a "security" update (which seems to be about once a week). Be very careful to uncheck the box, that program is garbage.

RickieBlue
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: OT: computer home page problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gordo...just hit Control and print screen which is just right of my F12 button...it will copy the screen shot..then go to a graphics program like Paint Shop Pro, Adobe Photoshop, Irfanview (free), Gimp (free), or something like that...paste the image...crop it to what you want to save..and then do a save as in the format you choose!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters