Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Electric motors

View previous topic :: View next topic  
colophil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 3:29 pm    Post subject: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am in the process of up-dating my bandsaw. I need a 1 1/2 motor 1 phase,that runs at 1750 rpms. I will need to reverse direction. My questions are what brand gives the best bang for the buck? where is the best place to buy? It's a rockwell 14 inch with a 12 inch extension.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just curious as to why you have to reverse direction?

colophil
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The way the saw is configured so the blade cuts on the down stroke.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might check on Surplus Center"s website. Probably going to be expensive anywhere you get it.

60 acre hillside
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most 14 inch bandsaws need at least a half horse motor and a three quarter would be better. Most all motors are easy to reverse, The directions will be on the motor or with the motor

Chris(WA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Huh???

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You just get a reversable motor and if the old one was CW rotation then go with that /or CCW. The only way what you are saying would make sense to me if you had a [for example ]old motor CCW new motor CW but not reversable. I have done that in my bandsaw but flipped the motor in the opposite direction then used a jackshaft to get back to the original driven shaft on the saw. Only because I had a free non reversable wrong rotation motor. If you are purchasing a new motor I still don't follow you.
Just make sure it is reversable and change leads to the desired direction of rotation.Not all motors are reversable.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 9:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay ,now I understand what you are saying about reversable. Since the typical band saw motor turns clockwise looking at the shaft then you either need one that turns CW or one that is reversable so you can make it turn clockwise .But nothing to do with the operation of the machine.Im a dummy but now I get what your saying.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unless you are doing some re-sawing I can't picture needing a 1 1/2" hp motor. I have a 3/4 hp motor on mine and it cuts anything I need. For a new motor, the first place I would look for a new motor would be harbor freight but their web site only shows a 1/2 hp motor. Second would be tractor supply. I've had good luck getting used motors from a electric motor repair shop near me. They purchase motors and inspect them to make sure they are in good working order.

Paul Janke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:29 am    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I was replacing the motor on my bandsaw, the new one came off of a drill press. It rotated the wrong direction and was not reversible. I took it apart and turned the middle section with the windings end for end and put it back together. The only drawback (which didn't matter) was that the box the cord went in was now on the side toward the driven pulley. And it is the wrong color.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: Electric motors Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I did the same thing with a 1hp water pump motor that I put on an air compressor. The problem is now I would like to switch it to 220V and I didn't mark the wires good enough to do that. Water pump motors are one of the few that are non-reversible, because if they run backwards they would unscrew the impeller and ruin it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters