Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

d5M with a bad motor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert Manning
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: d5M with a bad motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 99 model D5M that was running when the oil seal broke at the filter and ran out of oil. i suppose I would be better off to just replace it. Any thoughts on where I can get a new motor and approximate cost.

AJ.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: d5M with a bad motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's rotten luck,I think you should call your Cat dealer for a price of an exchange engine,that is a decent machine and would give you many years of service,have you opened it up to see what damage is done,usually engines that run out of oil lock up on the mains,a shaft regrind and a set of bearings might be all that is needed,I checked on Diesel Engine Trader and there is not one 3116T on there,as a matter of interest was it a Cat oil filter of an after-market one.
AJ

MSM
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: d5M with a bad motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might consider a good take out engine,try your local cat dealer.There are several machines that use that engine. They should be hooked up to a used parts network. Might want to repair the monitor system also. If you lost oil pressure the board should have been flashing and an alarm should have gone off.
A reman engine from Cat would probably be in the $12-$15000 range,possibly more depending on the damage to your core engine.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Re: d5M with a bad motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Opinion: I would sure take it apart first to see what was really wrong with it. It may be just one piston hanging it up, or maybe the mains tightened up. Theoretically, the mains would run dry first, but the oil left in the crank would be thrown up to the cylinder walls. At least take the pan off and look in there. It's possible you could come out comparitively cheap.

Fritz Maurer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: d5M with a bad motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And get the warning lights fixed.

jm.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: d5M with a bad motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you go to pricing NEW engines you may take a look a fixing yours unless you are in a tight for time or have plenty of bucks. Normaly the repair will be about half the price of new. Where are you located ? Know some good cat shops. Is the unit open rops or cab?

Robert Manning
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: d5M with a bad motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is an open rops model. I am located near Lexington Kentucky.

caterpillar guy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: d5M with a bad motor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That engine was also used in trucks. They are out there. As already said might just check yours out for extent of damage.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.