Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

tires vs. tubes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
oldmanbishop
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:20 am    Post subject: tires vs. tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a flat rear tire on my 9n. The tires are weatherchecked but there is still enough tread left to give me enough traction for what I need. It is a fairly slow leak, but I don't think that sealant would do the job since it would get diluted by ballast.

What do you guys think, just replace the tube? It would be great to put some new tires on there, but the cost might be hard to justify. I'd like to get it fairly reliable before the weather warms up. Thanks.

Curtsat15
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: tires vs. tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well regardless of what you do(barring sealant) you will have to drain and patch the tube. I would recommend buying a new tube, and keeping the old one and get it patched for a spare. I just had the left one on mine repaired and found that the rim was totally rotten around the valve stem (about 8" around), so I had to replace the outer rim. Total cost was $416.23; That's awful expensive to not get a new tire. I hope yours doesn't have this problem. I won't refill the tire again unless I can find something that won't rot the rims out. I am hoping the right side doesn't go the same way.

01BIRDDOG
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: tires vs. tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had to do the same thing on my '52. I hate using the old tire but new rim, tube, and fluid plus labor even after you taking wheel to them really adds up in a hurry. Now i have one hat rim which is really good and one new style but i'm about over them being different.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:27 am    Post subject: Re: tires vs. tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't assume anything about the tube. It likely is repairable and will last about forever.
If the stem is bad a tire shop can put a new one on for a lot less than a new tube.
I haven't priced a 28" tube for a while but the 30" tubes I bought last year were about $60 each.

Colin King
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 7:18 am    Post subject: Re: tires vs. tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tubes, as Jerry points out, last a long, long time. But they do eventually give up the ghost. If it's already been patched numerous times, it might be a good idea to invest in a new one.

Colin, MN

oldmanbishop
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: tires vs. tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm planning to just drive it to
the garage and have them replace the tube and ballast. The
leak should be slow enough for that.

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Re: tires vs. tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Colin King wrote:
The tubes, as Jerry points out, last a long, long time. But they do eventually give up the ghost. If it's already been patched numerous times, it might be a good idea to invest in a new one.

Colin, MN

Just my two cents , I have a few "cheap" tubes that I installed new and used for a year or two . I had a flat on the front and went to patch the tube when I noticed it was in very rough shape . It looked like it was forming cracks and drying out .

If I buy tubes again ( inevitable ) I will probably buy a higher quality tube .

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:45 am    Post subject: Re: tires vs. tubes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

break the tire part way down.. if the tube looks good.. patch it.. if it looks less than good.. repalce it. your tolerance for tire breakdown can be the basis of forming the good / less than good opinion on the tube.

IE.. if you thought breaking the tire down was easy.. and don't mind doing it again if the tube gives out in 2 weeks or 2 months.. then patch it.. save 40$.

If the idea of breaking a tire down is something you want to avoid again till getting new tires ( years? ).. put a NEW tube in.

either way.. make sure the old hole in the tire has a patch ont he inside and the hole-poker removed so it doesn't eat up the new /repaired tube..

( on fronts.. I don't mind patching them.... on rears.. I think real hard on what 'good' looks like. Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.