Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

9n won't move in any gear but pto works.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LDhaas

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 9n won"t move in any gear. I thought is was the clutch so I replaced it. It still does the same thing. I could use some advice. Thanks.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good chance you have bad rivets that held the ring gear on or a broken axle

DollarBill
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In addition to what Old gave ya, I've also seen the inner splines stripped on the drive shaft. Quick check would be to pull the side cover to see if it's turning with the engine running and the tractor in gear.

Be Safe: Jack up/crib the rear wheels off the ground before doing the above check. Wouldn't want you to get run over.

If it turns out to be a stripped ring gear, you can get to it by pulling off the left trumpet.

What's the history before replacing the clutch?

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LDhaas wrote:
(quoted from post at 17:23:58 03/03/13) My 9n won"t move in any gear. I thought is was the clutch so I replaced it. It still does the same thing. I could use some advice. Thanks.

Firstthing i would do is pull one of the inspection covers and check the coupler that connects the transmissiono output shaft to the pinion shaft in the differential. If it appears to be intact have some one gently ease out on the clutch with the tractor in gear and watch the pionion shaft to determine if it is turning. If it is the problem is in the differential.

TOH

LDhaas

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for your quick responses. I'll pul the inspection cover off first chance I get. The trouble started a month or so ago when I was blading some snow. I was pushing in reverse gear When it started sliping. It didnt make any noise or anything. I thought is was the clutch slipping.I broke it apart and there was quite a bit of oil on the clutch. I assumed the rear main was leaking and replaced the main seals on both ends, then put a clutch in. I was more than a little disappointed needless to say when I got it back together and still no movement. The funny thing is is that after it slipped I drained and replaced the fluid and drove it around a little and then it slipped again and that was it. Thanks for your replies I'll keep you posted.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yep.. tranny coupler shaft.. pinion splines.. ring gear rivits.. or axle.. those would be the things I'd check..

LDhaas

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys , I'll check those things .

LDhaas

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I pulled the insp. plate and ran the tractor in gear, drive shaft seemed to turn fine. I tried it in first and second gear.Rear axle did not turn. I noted that the left wheel was extremely difficult to turn while the right axle turned very freely,when I turned them by hand. I'm guessing maybe a broken axle. In any case looks like i got my work cut out. Any advice would be appreciated.

John Smith8N
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pull the left side axle trumpet off. That will give you access to everything. You can then lift out the differential carrier. Whatever is wrong will show up right there somewhere and should be obvious.

Ken N Tx
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John Smith8N wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:50:45 03/04/13)
Pull the left side axle trumpet off. That will give you access to everything. You can then lift out the differential carrier. Whatever is wrong will show up right there somewhere and should be obvious.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:03 am    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with machine off, and trans in gear, and left tire setting on ground, if you can turn the right tire freely.. then yep.. axle..

LDhaas

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found my "no movement" problem. I should have caught this one. It's broken right on the outer end.I just have to find one. Anybody got one?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2013 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LDhaas wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:19:15 03/09/13) I found my "no movement" problem. I should have caught this one. It's broken right on the outer end.I just have to find one. Anybody got one?

Where are you located? I'm sure a few of us have one.
I have one in Michigan, maybe Jim.UT, John Smith, Old and others.
We'll get you fixed up. Smile

LDhaas

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm in western Okla.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 10, 2013 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 9n won't move in any gear but pto works. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shipping would probably be a killer on some deals.
You might want to post in the classifieds or maybe start a new topic on
where to get one. I'm sure they're out there.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.