Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spraying herbicide.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darryl 2Ms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:16 pm    Post subject: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi! Two dumbells here! Father and son team thinking of planting silage corn. Just wondering how much 2,4,D to use per acre. Trying to figure costs etc. before jumping in to this. Been doing hay for a few years, now expanindg into beefers, and pigs.Hey, someone has to take the plunge! Or where is our food gonna come from? LOL Thanks in advance guys... Darryl

Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd start by reading the label. 2,4-D on emerged corn is a tricky business. You can mess with the growing point and make the stalk extremely brittle. Your better bet would be to buy some Rounduo ready corn. Generic Roundup can be bought fairly cheap and doesn't need any licensing to buy. Ideally you'd put down something pre emerge like Harness Extra, or Dual and come back if needed with a post treatment for any escape broadleaf plants. If you have a local Coop or agronomy store where you'd buy seed, fertilizer, etc. They will have a good plan for weed control in your area and tell you what licensing you need to have to buy and apply.
AaronSEIA

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another person not answering your question, but some version of dicamba can be a much better choice for about the same money. Banval, Clarity, and many others, it is off patent now so many are making it.

http://ipm.illinois.edu/ifvn/volume16/herbicides_containing_dicamba.pdf

I really like Status, it is a granular, it has safeners in it so you can spray it on taller corn. Really gets the broadleaves.

As for 2,4D, it seems less effective any more. Depends on if you are talking the ester or amine, and what formulation. Hard to give an exact answer without knowing what brand of the stuff you are going to use.

In general I got nervious at a pint an acre but it didn't kill so well at 1/2 pint, and the corn can't be more than the 5th leaf showing or you will hurt the corn.

http://www.cdms.net/ldat/ld44N002.pdf

Paul

LAA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No till or minimum till? how clean are your fields now? 2-4-D alone never did the whole job for me post emergence and you have to get on it when the corn is 4-6 inches tall unless you have drop nozzles, even then I would not do it in my area due to the high average temperature. I have way better luck for silage corn with RR variety and spray round up one time at 12 inches tall, thats after no till in ryegrass/clover stubble with no pre-plant applications. 3 trips across the field and the 3rd one is with the chopper.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 6:46 am    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could just go with Roundup Ready and spray one quart of Roundup per acre. No need for the 2,4d if you do that.

All Powershift !!

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 10:55 am    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are planning on planting a conventional corn hy. (a non GMO hybrid) try a brown mid-rib silage hy. makes a sweeter more digestable silage, & good ear corn for hogs too.. You'll probably need a grass killer along with the (dicamba) 2-4-d, Banvel etc. Try Accent , worked good on postemerge foxtail etc. for me...no carry over like attrazine based herbicide's.......

Karl 6030

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 4d is not that big of deal poasting over the top if the corn is 2ft tall or bigger put on drops to keep it out of the whirl lv 6 is around 28.00 dollars a gallon and run about 6 oz to the acre depending on weed size and run 15 gallon to the acre on water you will have great kill any question give me a call 1 618 926 1286.

Iowa Jim
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need to add a residual to a Roundup Ready system to get the best weed control. Spranying only Glyphosate is the reason we are now fighting resistant Palmer Amaranth, Marestail, and other weeds.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ya I know. I use Prowl and Atrazine pre emerge and seldom even have to clean up with Roundup,but if it's this guy's first time,it's best to make it simple.

Nice
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to your local fertilizer service/co-op and talk to them. The manager there will set down with you and help come up with a plan and give you estimated costs. If you don"t already have a fertilizer service that you go through for your hay, then you definately want to get in touch with one. They offer services that a corn farmer can"t do without, such as soil sampling, custom fertilizer/spraying, and good agronomic advice. Not sure how many acres you"re thinking, but even 20 corn acres adds up to a decent amount of inputs, and they probably don"t get many "new" customers, so they should be interested in your business and give you good service.

Darryl 2Ms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks! sounds like good advice. just looking to get our feet wet this year. maybe 5-10 acres. Have to try. If us New guys don't who will? lol

Darryl 2Ms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks Karl. I always get good input from everyone here on YT. thanks again

Darryl 2Ms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for your input. I was thinking of a sweet corn or anything that is a small round kernel, because I'm planting with a grain drill! Oh no! I got mixed feedback on THAT here on YT. But thats all I have for this year... An old I/H Mcormick 7x13. And they recommend a small round seed kernel for silage cor. This is all new to me but I gotta try!Buying feed is getting expensive and I have a hammermill soooo....

Darryl 2Ms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

sounds good. I had just figured 2,4,d because it's cheap. Guess I have to talk to my extension agent. It's confusing at first with so many chemical choices, but we'll figure it out. Hope it's not too late in the season...

Darryl 2Ms
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Spraying herbicide. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks Jim. I see i have more research to do. Don't want to contribute to weeds getting more resistant to herbicides. Time for my local agent i guess thanks

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Using Your Tractor & Crop Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.