Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kohler 321 tune up question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Achodges1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Kohler 321 tune up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Cub cadet with a Kohler 321 14 horse engine. I am trying to set the timing, but for the life of me I can not find any marks on the flywheel. I can get TDC but don"t even see the mark for it. How far should I advance the timing using a static method? I can make some makeshift marks but was wondering 10 degrees BTC, 5 degrees BTC ? any suggestions?

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler 321 tune up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What type of ign system on eng-points/magneto,points/12v coil or solid state?All 3 types were avail on K321.

If ign system solid state with a D shaped epoxy coil & trigger module mounted on right side of flywheel the timing is fixed/non adjustable,the only thing that can be adjusted is trigger module air gap which is .005",many eng with this style ign system had no timing marks on flywheel/block & usually no timing sight hole in flywheel cover.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler 321 tune up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had that engine on a JD140 tractor. You just needed to set the point gap correctly. I bought a new short block for the tractor as the rod went out thru the block before I bought it. Hal

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Kohler 321 tune up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it electronic ignition, there"s no provision to adjust the timing. If breaker point igntion, the adjusting the point gap sets the timing. Here"s a link to the OEM shop manual, in .pdf format. Timing procedure starts on page 8.2.
K series

Achodges1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler 321 tune up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry it's taken so long to get back. Been working. It's point ignition and I set the points but I was hoping to fine tune it a little better . The manual talks about a s or sp mark at the point where the points break. I have looked and looked and have not seen any such mark. Does any body know where this mark is in relation to TDC? Thanks for the help.

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler 321 tune up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Some K series eng had a sight hole in bearing plate & the timing marks are on back of flywheel,if sight hole in plate has a plug in it,remove plug & look thru hole while slowly rotating flywheel,you may see timing marks on rear of flywheel.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Kohler 321 tune up question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We had a few 321's in the shed at the golf course. IIRC there was a rubber plug or semi-circle notch on the back of the bearing plate to time it. I rolled the engine to the timing mark on the back and then PAINTED a line across the screen and on to the fan housing and actually timed it off of that with a timing light. It's been a while I left that job in '83

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.