Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

any tricks to free stuck engine????

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
*IHMMJD*
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:25 pm    Post subject: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is a good way to free a stuck motor? What to put in
cylinders?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot depends on why it is stuck and if it is diesel or gas. If the exhaust has been open and the cylinders got water in them not likely to ever free up. But if it is from sitting a long time filling the cylinders with ATF and then if it has an up right exhaust pour ATF in it till it starts to leak out some place. Be sure to put the plugs back in so as to keep dirt etc out. Then after say a week set a 12 volt battery in it and use short fast taps on the starter button. Watch the crank pulley when you do that for any movement. If you see it move at all keep trying. Be sure the plugs are out when you do that. By the way the starter does not produce enough torque to hurt parts other then the push rods

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If its a gas engine look down in the cylinders with a bore scope light. If there's a lot of rust you probably need to pull the head and oil pan and tear the engine down. If the engine has wet sleeves you may be able to drive the sleeve and pistons out. If there's no sleeves your local auto machine shop may be able to press them out. Hal

MoMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just got a AC C unstuck today. Been soaking for 2 or 3 weeks. I took the head off, cleaned out the water, Used red ScotchBrite to clean up the cylinders and put about a 3/16 deep amount of LiquidWrench in the holes. Put it in third gear and rocked it a couple times a day. Today I took a .004 feeler gauge and ran it around the piston tops. Pulled the starter and got on the flywheel with a crowbar and got it to move. Be sure to check for stuck valves also. Good luck and don't try to rush it. Mike

MoMac
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to add that water ran out of the intake/exhaust manifold when I started to pull it off for a repair on the mount lugs. Mike

*IHMMJD*
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tractor was sitting in a shed probably close to 20 yrs. So I am hoping it is just stuck from sitting.

Big Fat Herb
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can mix brake fluid with rubbing alcohol 1/2&1/2 and let it soak the alcohol thins the brake fluid

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok is that is the case ATF will most likely free it up. Most of the tractors I have or had I got with locked up engines and most freed up with a ATF treatment as in more then 20 freed up to the 2 or 3 that did not free up

steve alderman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would take the head so you see what you dealing with I bought a chalmers b the pistons and liners were all rust that one sat in the weather then I got a super c that was under a car port was stuck but the liners were still glossy that one freed right up

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just tear it apart before you destroy it.

toymaker 27
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

does this atf method free up the rings? the reason I ask is because of the four engines that I have had to beat the piston out of with a sledge hammer the rings were rusted so tight in there groves that they had to be chipped out with a small chisel?

toymaker 27
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

does this atf method free up the rings? the reason I ask is because of the four engines that I have had to beat the piston out of with a sledge hammer the rings were rusted so tight in there groves that they had to be chipped out with a small chisel?

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote "Dont get your hopes up!" Unquote

ken house
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

remove spark plugs. blow out cylinders with compressed air. oil floats on water. blow out cylinders again. add penetrant. wait. add penetrant. wait. about a week try to turn engine over. rock it forwards and backwards. good luck.

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:53 pm    Post subject: Re: any tricks to free stuck engine???? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IHMMJD, Burn out the cylinders, Works every time down her in Texas!
Later,
John A.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.