Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wes in ohio
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 3:33 pm    Post subject: What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My tractor temp is low on the gauge, I replaced thermostat, and after seen no rise in temp gauge. So I boiled some water and placed gauge in and at 215 degrees, gauge still reads cold. I purchased new gauge from case and boiled some water and it just barely gets in to the run on the gauge. So I"m wondering if the thermostat opens at 160 what temp should the water reach when engine is warmed up and running at temp

rhtx55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My F300 barely registers when just running around.
Put a plow behind it & it comes up pretty fast into the green area and stays there.

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You new gage is reading low! A good gage will show near the high edge of the green "RUN" band when the bulb's immersed in boiling water.

As for actual engine working temperatures it depends on conditions. With a good thermostat, under light load and in cool weather the engine will struggle to reach 160 deg (bottom edge of RUN). But worked hard in hot weather it'll be near the top of RUN.

Last edited by Bob M on Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
wes in ohio
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was thinking the same but wanted 2nd opinion
Thanks

farmallboy15
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I replaced the gauge on my H it didn't show up great until I ran it a few times. How long did you leave it in the hot water? It might take a little while for the heat to conduct up the sensor line..?

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My M is my loader tractor. It runs a good while but not pulling implements. I cover 3/4 of the rad with cardboard in the winter. It comes up to "run" in about 10-15 minutes and runs well. I don't need that block full of condensation. I want it warm.

Bob M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Notjustair wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:42:27 03/06/13)....I don't need that block full of condensation. I want it warm.

Me too!

I stick a homemade winterfront over the entire grille on my Super M when it pulls wagons at a friend's Christmas tree farm. It keeps the gage between 180 and 200. (Without the winterfront it runs only 160 or so....)

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The bypass port in the water outlet(Tstat housing) is way too big. I have reduced them with brazing. to restrict them to .375 hole size. this prevents overcooling bypassing the not open tstat. Jim

todd hamilton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: What is the running temp of a 169 engine(300 U) Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The one we had would run cold on the equator in the middle of July Smile

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.