Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

AC B110 with very weak spark?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: AC B110 with very weak spark? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Finally got around to working on my B110 with no spark. Have it set up on the bench with a battery so I can spin her over. No spark through the plug but have a very weak spark at the plug holder. I'm talking maybe 1/32" or so. Coil gap is .010 or a tick bit more, but not over .012. Any idea what the problem might be? Running a Megafire and coil with less than 20 hours of run time on them. Connections are all tight and polished.
AaronSEIA

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: AC B110 with very weak spark? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Condenser, breaker points, make sure coil is good also

joe csuti
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: AC B110 with very weak spark? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove coil & take to local mower shop(s) and have them check in a coil tester same may be bad,you didn't say if coil orig or new replacement.If coil checks ok I would suspect either mega fire module bad or flywheel magnets weak,which is a common problem on many of the older briggs eng,you can try checking magnets by putting a flat screwdrive blade on magnets to see how strong they are,this is only a relative test & can be inaccurate,if coil checks ok after that either change mega fire unit or swap/replace flywheel.

Before you remove anything from eng,check that you have a good clean & tight eng ground connection for mega fire module,check connection with an ohmmeter between block & end of wire that connects to module.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Re: AC B110 with very weak spark? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As Joe suggested check those magnets for magnetism as they're overlooked a lot of times. Hal

MNGB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: AC B110 with very weak spark? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this a Cast iron Briggs, and I see you say you have a megafire module (points eliminator) if so the problem may be reversed polarity of the magnets. The old Briggs cast iron engine don't work well with the megafire modules. Have you tried reversing the leads on the megafire module that may help with the flywheel polarity.
GB in MN

Last edited by MNGB on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: AC B110 with very weak spark? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had someone suggest doing that on the Simplicity forum. Odd part is, it ran perfect one week and had no spark the next. Will give it a shot though. Curious why yuou say the cast Briggs doesn't do well on the megafire? Everything I read before I bought it said they worked great. I've read some about a Nova setup that is better yet.
AaronSEIA

MNGB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: AC B110 with very weak spark? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My experience with either the megafire or Nova modules is sometimes they work and other times not so good, I take it your engine has a starter generator, they will work better with that system, they do not work on engines with multiple magnets like the engines with a charging stator. I have found that points and condenser ignitions provide strong better spark than those modules, and the old cast iron B&S with the external points are very easy work on or they can be converted to battery ignition very easy and you then have excellent spark.
GB in MN

Aaron SEIA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: AC B110 with very weak spark? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I did try flipping the wires with no change. Guess the next step is having someone test the coil. Really need a second one of these so I can play with 2 of them.
AaronSEIA

Chuck inIN.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: AC B110 with very weak spark? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Megafire won't work on engines older than mid 80's if I remember correctly.If older the flywheel needs send back to briggs to be remagitized.The polaritey of the magnets needs changed

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.