Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Unstyled B Questions

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JD B Mech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:21 am    Post subject: Unstyled B Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm getting ready to re-install the head/manifold assembly on my 38' JD B.

1. What is the proper torque for the head nuts? The service manual for the styled B says 1150 in lbs (96 ft lbs) and I've read posts on "Yesterday's Tractors" that it's 150 ft lbs if the studs are dark colored and 130 if the studs are shiny. Which one is it and what is the reference?

2. How tight should the manifold nuts be? The styled manual does not give a torque and I'm wary of over-tightening them.........don't want to crack anything. A shade-tree mechanic told me about 20 ft lbs, or tight, but not too tight to allow for expansion.

3. I bought a new head gasket from JD (expensive!) and the manual says to "soak it in motor oil for about 30 seconds and then install it smooth side to the block". I've never heard of the oil soaking and someone told me to spray it on both sides with Permatex Copper Spray-a-Gasket.

a. One side of the gasket is totally smooth and the other side has a raised ridge around the cylinder holes. I'm assuming the raised ridge goes toward the head?

b. Is the oil soaking necessary or will the Spray-a-Gasket suffice?

JD B Mech
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Disregard this post. I accidently hit the button twice.

Sam Vastano
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here goes from memory, Hope I am remembering correctly:
1. I torqued to 96 Ft Lbs
2.Just tight. Probably 20 Ft Lbs is OK
3. I also used the oil method and so far so good. If I remeber correctly I put the smooth side to the head on mine.

Hope this helps

Sam

Mark-Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Unstyled B Questions Reply to specific post Reply with quote

smoothe side to the block.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.