Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

C301 out of an 806 two mystery bolts in head

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitchel - farmall 460
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 3:00 pm    Post subject: C301 out of an 806 two mystery bolts in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am finishing up putting the motor into my daughters 460. I got the motor out of a farmall 806. Here is my question. There are two 5/16 bolts in the left side of the head. They are dead center between #3 and #4 valves. Bolts were only finger tight when I take them out the bolt holes go all the way through and you can see valve stems. Looked at my c221 that came out of the 460 and there are no holes. What bolts to these? Am I missing something? I know a picture would be worth a thousand words but I can't get one to upload. Anyone have an idea?
Thanks,
Mitchel

cole in mo.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: C301 out of an 806 two mystery bolts in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Might be where the coil bolts on.

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: C301 out of an 806 two mystery bolts in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep,

That's where the coil clamp bolts on.

Allan

mitchel - farmall 460
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: C301 out of an 806 two mystery bolts in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Coil clamp is bolted closer to the front of the head. I don't know what these are so I am going to put some washers on the bolts cut me a piece of gasket material to go under the washers and tighten them down so oil want leak out. Maybe this will work. Thanks for the replys.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: C301 out of an 806 two mystery bolts in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For the gas tank mounting bracket on the 806.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 07, 2013 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: C301 out of an 806 two mystery bolts in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I should have added it is where the coil was mounted on other engine applications, like when the BD (black diamond) engine was used in trucks. You should see a flat spot on the 460 head where the bolts would be but were not used in that application. Also, if you look at a lot of the blocks you will see a casting indentation near center of block where the throttle linkage would have been run through the block when used in a truck. Just thought I would throw that in. I remember when we got our first 560 at the dealer ship, I said , they put a truck engine in her.

Mitchel - 460 Farmall
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: C301 out of an 806 two mystery bolts in head Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks for the info, the only reason I was questioning the holes was because they are drilled and tapped all the way through. You are right about the 221 head it has the same flat places but no holes drilled or tapped.

p.s. Got it running last night and it sounds great. Now I just have to finish putting everything back together. Once again thanks for the info.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.