1943-44 john deere A rear wheels

Tstoner

I am currently starting a restoration project on my grandpa's 1943-44 john deere styled model A. I am realitivly new to the forums so I apologize if this has been covered before. It currently has flat spoke rear wheels and rubber tires. One of them is broken where the center hub piece meets the wheel. Has anyone ever tried to repair a cast wheel? Just want to know if that would even be possible as I would like to keep this tractor as original as I can. I will attach some pictures. Also do these look like cutoffs or factory wheels? Some flat spoke wheels that I've seen have the spokes welded to the center of the rim. As you can see these are welded in sort of a criss cross pattern to the rim.

This post was edited by Tstoner on 12/03/2022 at 08:08 am.

Are you using the ..Choose Files.. button to post your pictures? See photo. This is the method that needs to be used to successfully post a picture.
mvphoto99918.jpg

Those are cut off steel wheels- common to find on styled war tractors, built when rubber was not available. Of course found on earlier tractors built on steel and then converted as well.

As for repair... that'd be a challenge. Getting all that off the axle would be a challenge as well. Is the main wheel loose? If it's all rusted tight, maybe leave it alone? Any clue how or when it
cracked?

(quoted from post at 16:15:31 12/03/22) Those are cut off steel wheels- common to find on styled war tractors, built when rubber was not available. Of course found on earlier tractors built on steel and then converted as well.

As for repair... that'd be a challenge. Getting all that off the axle would be a challenge as well. Is the main wheel loose? If it's all rusted tight, maybe leave it alone? Any clue how or when it
cracked?

Yes I am worried about getting that collar off of the axle. Never attempted to take one off. The wheel seems to be loose. I picked up some rear tires for it today I will know more once I get the rear off of the ground. I was really hoping to repair this wheel. I wanted to keep this tractor with as much original parts as I can. Plus I really like the look of the flat spokes. I wouldn't be against purchasing another one but from my research they are impossible to find.

I didn't realize the steel wheels had a detachable hub. I wonder if the hub from a late cast center would fit? Those would be easy to find. Either way, the wheel is a lot more saveable with the detachable
hub.

I see a lot of heating, quenching and beating in the original poster's future :) Please keep us posted.

(quoted from post at 07:57:45 12/04/22) ...I see a lot of heating, quenching and beating in the original poster's future ...

The good news is that the bolts are out of the tapered hub lock collar.

I recently had a bout with a '36 B including broken bolts in the release holes and a spline that hadn't moved since the Johnson administration. Heat, penetrating oil, patience, and persuasion solved that.

It also appears that there may be a little wheel rim repair in your future. It's all possible, and just takes a little planning and labor.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back