4430 steering once again

Bugaboo

New User
Hey Guys!

Coming to you today as I’ve seen there are some real experts on this issue! I read through all the previous posts, but still can’t make sense.

I have a 1976 4430 with the newer style “spool valve” or steering Brick under the hood.

In Order to change the radiator, I disconnected the lines from the steering valve to the steering motor, thinking it wouldn’t be an Issue to bleed.

After the repairs were done, I hooked everything up again, started, and turned the wheel to max left and then some more, over to max right and then some more - regular bleeding procedure for power steering.

Funny thing is, it doesn’t work. So I went digging on the Internet but everything says there’s no special bleeding procedure? It worked perfectly before, so I don’t think I have any internal leak issues just from unhooking a line and hooking it back up.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Johnny

Hey Guys!

Coming to you today as I’ve seen there are some real experts on this issue! I read through all the previous posts, but still can’t make sense.

I have a 1976 4430 with the newer style “spool valve” or steering Brick under the hood.

In Order to change the radiator, I disconnected the lines from the steering valve to the steering motor, thinking it wouldn’t be an Issue to bleed.

After the repairs were done, I hooked everything up again, started, and turned the wheel to max left and then some more, over to max right and then some more - regular bleeding procedure for power steering.

Funny thing is, it doesn’t work. So I went digging on the Internet but everything says there’s no special bleeding procedure? It worked perfectly before, so I don’t think I have any internal leak issues just from unhooking a line and hooking it back up.

Any Ideas?

Thanks, Johnny
How many lines did you muck with? IIRC, there's 4 from the block to the steering motor.

May have swapped a couple?

Took all 4 of them off. We thought we had mixed up two of them and flipped them, but turned out to be a bad Idea, blew one of the lines right off the fitting. And I can move the wheels in the right direction with the Steering pump, just not supported by power steering, so I assume the lines are right or not rven that would work

Took all 4 of them off. We thought we had mixed up two of them and flipped them, but turned out to be a bad Idea, blew one of the lines right off the fitting. And I can move the wheels in the right direction with the Steering pump, just not supported by power steering, so I assume the lines are right or not rven that would work
Odd you didn't mention the part about "swapping lines" and "blew a line off on your first post?

Which line "blew off", at the valve, the steering hand pump, or between the valve and the firewall area?

Odd you didn't mention the part about "swapping lines" and "blew a line off on your first post?

Which line "blew off", at the valve, the steering hand pump, or between the valve and the firewall area?
Yeah I guess I should have. One flared line connecting the Valve and the steering motor came off, but the issue was the same before that. I can steer but not assisted by power steering. We only flipped the lines after the steering didn’t work. I don’t think it did any damage.

Yeah I guess I should have. One flared line connecting the Valve and the steering motor came off, but the issue was the same before that. I can steer but not assisted by power steering. We only flipped the lines after the steering didn’t work. I don’t think it did any damage.
Don't take this wrong, I don't mean to be critical of you but the best info you can give us will result in getting the best help. Without more info or a photo I am having a hard time understanding how a steel flare fitting can "come off"? Did you have the replace the line and the male flare fitting adapter it attaches to, or how did you fix that issue?
IMG_20240616_204443260.jpg

Heres a factory diagram of how the lines are connected.

If you have them correct I would suspect that some debris got in the steering valve "brick" and has stuck the spool.

Or, something may have been damaged if the lines WERE connected wrong before the initial startup, such as a little spring or other check valve part in the valve "brick", or even the pin that makes the feedback cylinder track the steering motor cylinder.

I'm afraid this is gonna be a tough one to track down, please post back with any more info you have, or further questions, or what the final solution was.

Perhaps some GURUS with WAY more experience@ than I have will come by and post what I have overlooked!

Thanks for the Diagram!

The steel line slipped out of the nut that pushes it on. Had to cut off 1/2”, push the flarenut over top and flared the line with a flare-tool again.

What makes me think that it didn’t do lots of damage is this, kind of hard to explain.

When in the Process of bleeding, I steer the wheels all the way left, and then keep going so Air gets purged through pressure relief valve (at least that is how I explain it to myself).

After I did one side I go turn the wheel the other way and the power steering works from far left to about straight ahead, and then it fails again. Same on the other side.

So my conclusion is that i have to have enough pressure in the system since it works for a short time? but as soon as I go past that halfway point it stops again.

I hope that makes sense? Thanks for taking the time!
Edit: I’ll see if the spool moves tomorrow, should be simple enough to take the two endcaps off the brick

Thanks for the Diagram!

The steel line slipped out of the nut that pushes it on. Had to cut off 1/2”, push the flarenut over top and flared the line with a flare-tool again.

What makes me think that it didn’t do lots of damage is this, kind of hard to explain.

When in the Process of bleeding, I steer the wheels all the way left, and then keep going so Air gets purged through pressure relief valve (at least that is how I explain it to myself).

After I did one side I go turn the wheel the other way and the power steering works from far left to about straight ahead, and then it fails again. Same on the other side.

So my conclusion is that i have to have enough pressure in the system since it works for a short time? but as soon as I go past that halfway point it stops again.

I hope that makes sense? Thanks for taking the time!
Edit: I’ll see if the spool moves tomorrow, should be simple enough to take the two endcaps off the brick
I wish you the best of luck, remote diagnosis via the 'net isn't like being there and observing what's going on with a tool chest full of gauges and a flowmeter!

I wish you the best of luck, remote diagnosis via the 'net isn't like being there and observing what's going on with a tool chest full of gauges and a flowmeter!
Thanks for the effort! I checked my Lines today with the diagram, it didn’t match at all. So I rerouted them to how it is on the diagram, now I can’t even steer by hand anymore and when I crank the engine (with the stop knob pulled to not start) my wheels turn right by themselves lol. Confused beyond all measures..
I’d talk to my JD dealer but they usually know even less than myself

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back