'53 Farmall Super H generator dead and gone?

CochiseIH

New User
I found that the generator (3 brush, nameplate illegible, with saddle mount Autolite TC-4301A "two charge" regulator) is not producing charge. I think it never has since I bought it 5 years ago. I've just used it a few hours, put it on the trickle charger, and assumed the ammeter was dead (its not). It's a working tractor, basically a big lawn mower with blade and carryall. There are 360 deg views of the Sulphur Springs valley and it is nice to be sitting high, riding on big ol tires and a sprung bucket seat.. It's used maybe 10 hours a year. It's not a parade tractor. Grandpa's never were either. I got the Autolite tech manual (awesome) and started to dig in to it, slowly (I'm retired). Gradually I became depressed. I don't like electric motors. I'm a mechanical engineer and got a C in electric motors. I like to see things, thus I like tractors, not electricity. I don't care about lights. The last thing I should be doing at night after a couple drinks is driving a tractor.

So... I'm just going take the generator, leave it on a 10w solar charger and treat battery charge like fuel in the tank. If that's not functional enough I'll do the alternator conversion. If there are any purists out there that want to swap a working gen for mine, and not a bunch of money, Im interested.

If you have a shop around that can test them the ones I've gone to will test it for free. NAPA used to but I don't know now. May not be your generator - could be the regulator. I'm sure someone will get on here and tell you how you can test it at home also.

The original charging system on your tractor is Delco Remy based not Autolite. On a Super H I am pretty sure the original location of the regulator is on the front of the steering shaft and light support assembly behind the gas tank. Now it is very possible someone did an oddball swap and put an Autolite generator on it. I am not the one who would be able to tell you how such a thing should be wired. Some general information about generator systems is that reliable quality replacement regulators for those are difficult to find and good ones are expensive. I personally would convert the tractor over to 12 volts and put an internal regulated alternator on it, they are just way more reliable. The 6 volt starter works fine on 12 volts. All you need is a resistor to drop your voltage to the ignition coil.

Don’t get to down on yourself about this generator , got a 70 year old tractor with a few issues. Have to take them one a at time. I find . Easy ones first.
As stated pull generator off and take to a shop that specializes in their repair . Be prepared to spend some money now fixes aren’t cheap.
what’s your goal just get it running ?
or get get all the electrical running correctly, lights ,switches,
It will run with just just battery charged and distributor working ,wire s and plugs if you got fuel compression and timed spark
take your time ,ask for more help when something doesn’t work out. Sometimes it is a simple fixes .
Suggest take advantage of YT resources , heres an article ,very well written

Last edited:
Unhooking/removeing the generator will work fine for your limited useage.One step further would be to switch over to a magneto. Once the engine is started,it will run 'forever' without a battery.Eventually,if you want,you can install an EASY onewire alternator system.I have an M that is used only for cultivateing.At one time it would cultivate over 80 acres of corn yearly. It has never had a gen/alt. Just a mag.Put a fully charged battery in in spring,take it out when corn gets too tall to cultivate.That battery will start it all season with no additional chargeing.Plus. If battery is dead,you can always crank start a mag.;)

I'll just run off the battery with solar charger in between runs. I wonder how long it will run keeping the battery charge at least 50%? A 10 watt solar charger should get it topped back up in 2-3 days. Eventually, when the 6V battery fails I'll do the 12V alternator conversion.

You can continue to run it the same way with no charging system using a 12 volt battery all you would need to do is add a resistor that drops the voltage to the coil.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back