6volts charging @ 20+volts 9n ford

9n Nate

New User
9n 6 volt charging over 20 volts, changed the cut out and had the generator rebuilt. can anyone give me any hints before i throw more money at this? thanks for your time.

Take your genny back to the rebuilder to verify they did it to six volt spec and take the regulator with it and they can bench set it.

Upvote 0
Was it charging at over 20 volts before you changed anything? If not, what was the original problem that made you decide to start changing things?

Upvote 0
A 6v gen can produce 20v with no load.......so what that means is that the cut out was not connecting the gen to the battery when you measured the 20v.
Oh, by the way, you can ignore the comment by the guy about the regulator.....he doesn't even know that your tractor does NOT even have a regulator! Geese!

Upvote 0
Was it charging at over 20 volts before you changed anything? If not, what was the original problem that made you decide to start changing things?
It was not charging at all . He found broken connections and it tested good he said but it charges way to high now.

Upvote 0
A 6v gen can produce 20v with no load.......so what that means is that the cut out was not connecting the gen to the battery when you measured the 20v.
Oh, by the way, you can ignore the comment by the guy about the regulator.....he doesn't even know that your tractor does NOT even have a regulator!

Upvote 0
I'm not getting any charge in the battery. The cut out won't allow it so I guess I don't know where to go now. I put a new cut out on it and it charged for a minute then no more. Is it just to high of a charge for the cut out or ???

Upvote 0
I'm not getting any charge in the battery. The cut out won't allow it so I guess I don't know where to go now. I put a new cut out on it and it charged for a minute then no more. Is it just to high of a charge for the cut out or ???
Is the cutout connected correctly, should have markings for "BATT" and "GEN"?

It also needs a good GROUND to the generator body to function, will that's very unlikely to be your problem, paint on the mounting area and paint or rust on the screws could POSSIBLY affect that.

On the other hand the cutout (likely from "The Land of Almost Right") is probably not functioning.

Upvote 0
Hello Nate, welcome to YT! My question is are you certain the meter you are using is giving you the actual voltage that the circuit has in it? Is it a cheap meter? The circuitry in many cheap meters can be severely affected by the electrical noise of the points ignition and the from the generator as well. So tell us about your meter. What does it read testing voltage across the battery terminals when the engine is running?

Upvote 0

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back