Briggs & Stratton Vanguard horizontal shaft engines

timcasbolt

I'm looking at one of these engines in the 10 hp model and wondering a couple things: How is it for reliability, and does anyone know what they were used on? A new one with electric start is a bit pricey, but maybe I can find a used one if I buy the whole implement. Thanks for any info.

I've seen them on Troybilt tillers, log splitters, and on smaller gensets. There was an 11 hp on a genset in the scrap yard a couple of weeks ago. Engine was still good, just not the generator. My buddy's son put one on his Troybilt Horse tiller and has been using it for at least 10 years. Probably not as good as a Honda, but are serviceable engines, dependent on their use and maintenance. steve

Last edited:
Here is one man's opinion. I've owned a few of them, and took one apart. The Vanguard line of engines is a step up from the China junk of most small engines, including B&S. It is the 'commercial' version and may have better cyl sleeving, balance, eutectic pistons, and possibly better casting all around.

However(and it's a big one), I don't consider the Vanguard nearly as good as the prev version of the B&S Industrial & Commercial engines. My experience is I search out red top I&C Briggs engines faithfully. I have some 2 cyl opposed engines from the 70s and early 80s that run perfectly, and smooth, never overheat and put out reliable rated power. Pretty much all red tops are I&C engines. I have seen a few black top engines with the I&C sticker on them, and I would presume those are the transition between the I&C and the newer version vanguard commercial.

I might pay a premium for a Vanguard engine simply because the alternative engines made in China are SO SO BAD. Before that, I would seek out a used red top, or a black top with the "I&C" sticker.

YMMV

I don't know the horizontal shaft but I have a vertical shaft 16 hp Vanguard form 1994 that mowed a lot of yard until the deck rusted out around 2007. Machine is still running but only pulls an aerator and a sprayer. now. Only repair other than regular maintenance so far has been a new fuel pump.

B&S has put the Vanguard label on several engine designs, some they build, some purchased from overseas vendors.Hard to say which one you are talking about. I just bought a piece of equipment with a 13HP Vanguard and it's a pure Honda clone made in China, very little different than the Predetor engines sold at Harbor freight.

If I have to go new, I'm looking at the XR1450. Since I'm as cheap as they get, I'd rather not go new.

If I have to go new, I'm looking at the XR1450. Since I'm as cheap as they get, I'd rather not go new.
Cheap is ok but an old dealer once told me "The bitterness of poor quality lasts long after the low price is gone" Most briggs are ok for general use. I do like honda too.

I just invested a few min trying to find out which engines are made in China by B&S. Short story - I can't find any info on which models, HP, or type are made there by Briggs. I would say, check the imprint on the engine casting and know for sure. There is a large mfg plant in China still, even though they have a new plant in NY somewhere, they are still making engines in China. And they are c-r-a-p.

My Rep. says the foreign made Vanguard engines are made by Daihatsu. My Grasshopper rep wants us to call their Vanguard engines 'Daihatsu' engines, rather than indicate it is a Briggs and Stratton product.

like the other guy said, some Briggs engines that say 'Vanguard' on them are really made in a Briggs factory and are pretty much the same as their Intek engines. I just serviced a 'Vanguard' engine in a Deere that even used the same air filter as the same size Intek, (and that particular air filter is a piece of junk. It should have some metal screen around the filter element to keep it from collapsing.)

The xr1450 is made in China. Not sure when it says Vanguard on it. I'm in no hurry. Just thinking about what might be an interesting project. The 7.5 hp predator style engine I'm using right now works fine, but if I was to do it again (and I might) I'd want more power. This xr1450 has similar torque to the k181s, with the extra power coming in from 2600-3600.

I've seen them on Troybilt tillers, log splitters, and on smaller gensets. There was an 11 hp on a genset in the scrap yard a couple of weeks ago. Engine was still good, just not the generator. My buddy's son put one on his Troybilt Horse tiller and has been using it for at least 10 years. Probably not as good as a Honda, but are serviceable engines, dependent on their use and maintenance. steve
steve
I would put Honda and Kawasaki engines at the top of my list.

In my experience, different models of B&S motors are good and some are not.
I can say the same about Kohler engines. Some are good and some are not.

I have all 4 engines. Honda, Kaw, B&S and Kohler.

Tecumseh engines don't make good boat anchors. Their carbs always leaked.
Just my 2 cents. Each to their own.

Last edited:
A repair shop showed me how all the Briggs , Honda, and Predator engines are pretty much the same. He said that Briggs sells the gaskets in a kit and even if you only need one gasket you have to buy the hole dang kit. But Honda sells the gaskets individually at a reduced cost and fits the Briggs, Honda, and Predator engines.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back