Canning jar feature: what for?

Steve in VA

Doing some canning and noticed this 1 particular jar. No brand stamped. I hope the photos are clear enough. It has a groove or short channel cast into the bottom. It is only in 1 place.
1000004281.jpg
Any idea why this feature exists?
1000004280.jpg

Just a SWAG but maybe so water can get under it when sitting in a canner.

That is a good guess.
To elaborate on your thought, maybe it is a channel for steam to escape from under the jar so that when that water turns to steam it can easily get out from under the jar. That would reduce/prevent the jars from bouncing off the bottom and rattling around.

That is a good guess.
To elaborate on your thought, maybe it is a channel for steam to escape from under the jar so that when that water turns to steam it can easily get out from under the jar. That would reduce/prevent the jars from bouncing off the bottom and rattling around.
I believe that both you and TerryfromSWIowa have the answer. I confess that was my guess but didn't want the tilt the conversations. At any rate, you two have hit on the explanation I'm going with.

Thanks.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back