D17 oil types - trans/final drive/etc.

Termite

New User
As title states, I'm trying to sort out what I should be running in my D17 that I need to service.

Manual calls out the oils below.

Transmission- 80EP
Final drive- 80EP
Power director- 80EP
Engine- 10/20/30 temp dependent (been using 30w)
Power steering- 20w
Hydraulics- 20w.

For trans/final drives/power director, would Traveller Premium Tractor trans/hydraulic be appropriate or should I be going with something like 80w90 gear oil?

Thanks in advance folks.
Termite in WV

many newer models are starting to get away from the 80wt and go to the trans / hydro fluids... for everything.

many newer models are starting to get away from the 80wt and go to the trans / hydro fluids... for everything.
Even going that direction leaves me with several questions regarding which would be most appropriate and what would the implications be of using said oil.

I'm new to actually delving into which should be used where in older equipment. Previously, I just used whatever folks had on hand for their top offs. Haven't done drain and fills for my own machines until now so never looked into it. Newer equipment (late 90s-2016ish) we used manufacturers recommended for my folks equipment (mini excavator, skid steer, etc.).

modern day trans/hydraulic fluid
The trans/hydraulic fluids I'm finding are all in the realm of 10w-30 equivalent. Seems light compared to an original 80EP oil. What would the signs of unhappy gearboxes be if I were to switch?

Nothing will be unhappy. This type oil is used in 600+ HP tractors everywhere. A 53 HP D-17 will never know the difference.

80 wt GEAR LUBE has the same viscosity as 30 wt SAE OIL .... dont compare the numbers 80 to 30... one is a GEAR LUBE designation and one is a SAE AUTO OIL desigation..

Attachments

• Oil viscosity.jpg
    Oil viscosity.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 24
80 wt GEAR LUBE has the same viscosity as 30 wt SAE OIL .... dont compare the numbers 80 to 30... one is a GEAR LUBE designation and one is a SAE AUTO OIL desigation..
Thats interesting. Simply pouring each makes the gear lube appear much more viscous than 30wt. Took a a dive down a rabbit hole choosing equipment at random for reference, valvoline recommends their Super Tractor Universal Oil for use where they also recommend their 80w gear lube. Quite interesting indeed.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back