Do I need to wedge the front axle on the cub if only jac

Poonie

k up the rear?

Reason I ask is, I'm planning to remove the rear wheels and reinstall. Somebody installed the tires with the treads facing the wrong direction, and it's driving me insane to look at it this way. I made some cribbing using two 4x6s cut 30 inches long, then a 2x8 attached to the top. I've got two 5 ton barn jacks, which will sit atop this cribbing. I'm going to use them at the jacking points on the rear axle. I'm going to lift the tractor only high enough to remove the tires/rims, using my engine hoist.

Question no. 2, my rear wheels have the weights on them. Would it be easier to remove the whole wheel or simply the tire and rim to do this job? I'm thinking just remove the tire and rim and leave the weights attached, but need to be sure. Thanks again in advance for any and all help.

This post was edited by Poonie on 11/04/2023 at 02:19 pm.

No need to wedge when the tractor is not split. Your method seems good. The wheels are not the same side to side (IIRC) dur=e to the offset design. the right wheel is heavy cast, the left should be much lighter steel. So wheel/rim only. Jim

You may not need to swap the tires from one side to the other.
What width is your tread set for? At some settings, you can turn each individual tire around and reinstall leaving the tread the same. At other settings, turning the tires around will require changing the tread by 4 inches.

I understand what you're saying now. I don't think simply turnng the tire around will solve the problem. The square ends for the bolt heads would be facing inward and would not allow the tire/rim to be attached to the wheel. At least that's how it appears from what I'm looking at.

This post was edited by Poonie on 11/05/2023 at 04:53 am.

Plenty of options on cub wheel spacing.
Flip those rims and tires into a dozen
different configurations....
cvphoto166012.png

cvphoto166013.png

cvphoto166014.png

Just keep your square head bolts in the
square on the rim...... doesn't matter if
they are in the inside or outside.

Keep the square head of the bolt in the
square in the rim??! Doesn't matter if
they are in or out. It's part of the cub
design. Multiple tire spacing for
different crops.

How do I upload pictures guys? I tried the upload block below the text and the picture got as far as that. When I hit submit no picture. Confused.
mvphoto111322.jpg

This post was edited by Poonie on 11/05/2023 at 02:29 pm.

Did you wait till the upload was completed? Sometimes it will take a minute or two. It will tell you when it's done, and the written description of the photo will appear in the box where you typed the rest of your message.
If the photo is too large, it may not upload at all.

It worked. I must've not given it enough time to upload. Anyway, just wanted to show you guys how I jacked up the cub. Those old barn jacks work great. I've got 5 of them I picked up from a couple places.

(quoted from post at 05:33:14 11/05/23) I understand what you're saying now. I don't think simply turnng the tire around will solve the problem. The square ends for the bolt heads would be facing inward and would not allow the tire/rim to be attached to the wheel. At least that's how it appears from what I'm looking at.

I'm sure you've realized by now that the bolts come out, and can be reinserted from either direction, but for the record... The bolts can be removed and reinserted from either side.

Yes, I realize that. For my needs, I simply want to leave things as they are. This tractor is never going to be driving in fields among rows of crops, so it matters not to me how the bolts go in at this point.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back