Eradicating a stump

Tom in TN

I've heard in the past that there is some kind of chemical that you can put on a stump that will cause it to deteriorate. I know about stump grinders but I don't have one. Do you know of a chemical treatment that will cause a stump to deteriorate rather quickly?

If the stump is dry enough to burn you can accelerate it by setting a barrel with both ends removed and air holes around low part over it. Drilling holes, filling with nitrogen ,cover in soil and keep it moist will rot it quicker. Keeping soil around it moist helps to rot. There's various products sold for removing stumps but they basically do the same thing as fertilizer.

Potassium nitrate is the active ingredient in stump removal compounds . It works but it's not a magic bullet , deterioration starts in a few weeks depending on moisture content and soil , it takes a few years for the stump to disappear below ground level .
I've had better results using a drum and small fire over the stump , particularly if i use a fan or leaf blower to help it along .

Glyceryl trinitrate will remove stumps right quick.

Stump grinders can be rented. If you want a stump out NOW, and you can't dig it out or blow it out of the ground, that's your best bet. As others have said there's no magic potion that will quickly rot the stump, at least not without turning the area into an EPA disaster.

With my luck if I tried to burn a stump the neighbors would call the fire department on me, or the fire would follow a root to a building and set it on fire.

Reactions: bc
Do you know anybody else in the neighborhood needing one or two taken out? Rent a grinder together for the day and go to work. My brother in law rented one once and stopped in here with it on his way to take it back. He was having the time of his life playing with that thing and didn't want it to end.

There is a video on YouTube that shows a man cutting slots in the stump with his chainsaw and then covering the stump with Epsom Salt to rot the stump faster.

I've read that the use of potassium nitrate can speed the rot. But, if applied correctly will also aid in burning the stump after several months. Directions I saw said to drill a number of holes in the stump, fill with potassium nitrate and add water. Repeat the water over a few weeks.
Then when burning out that will cause the wood to burn faster and more completely.

I have some to try it on starting in next week or so due to several big trees in the memorial weekend tornado here. The potassium nitrate is available from Amazon, like most things. Kinda surprising as it is a component of homemade black powder. It was also used to make cannon fuses. Soak cotton twine in a solution of that stuff and let it dry. That is the theory of using it to burn stumps, it makes the wood burn like that too.

I'll let you know next summer if it worked on my stumps.

Cut a cross in the stump with a chainsaw. Place some burning charcoal on the stump and let it burn. The cross will allow oxygen under the fire to keep it hot. You can place a washtub or old barrel over it spaced up with bricks if you're worried about the fire spreading and let it burn itself away.

Do you know anybody else in the neighborhood needing one or two taken out? Rent a grinder together for the day and go to work. My brother in law rented one once and stopped in here with it on his way to take it back. He was having the time of his life playing with that thing and didn't want it to end.
That's what two of my neighbors and I did. Had about a half dozen to take out. Took maybe half a day and split the rental fee.

If the stump is dry enough to burn you can accelerate it by setting a barrel with both ends removed and air holes around low part over it. Drilling holes, filling with nitrogen ,cover in soil and keep it moist will rot it quicker. Keeping soil around it moist helps to rot. There's various products sold for removing stumps but they basically do the same thing as fertilizer.
Probably the best method here !

I've heard in the past that there is some kind of chemical that you can put on a stump that will cause it to deteriorate. I know about stump grinders but I don't have one. Do you know of a chemical treatment that will cause a stump to deteriorate rather quickly?
the old people would drill holes in the stumps and fill them with salt.

If all else fails, mix up a batch of ammonium nitrate fertilizer and blow it up. A little dab will do ya. Not too much or there goes the neighborhood.

Or pour some black powder in the holes. Just missed the independence day holiday as that would have been a good time to make things go boom.

Last edited:
Back in the early 60's I used dynamite. It takes experience to make it work well.
Dusty
Back in the 60's when I was 13 and driving a combine on a custom cutting crew, we were at a Campground east of Sydney, Nebraska around or after the 4th of July. Sewer line for the trailer was plugged so I dropped an M80 down the pipe. Blew you know what all over the place. Got it unplugged.

On a side note about outdoor fires. Texas has been back and forth for years over outdoor fires. After some litagation they relaxed burn bans but stiffened penalty for violations when there is a ban on. Interestingly few if any cities have standing ordinance against outdoor fires but fall under county regulations for bans.

I've read that the use of potassium nitrate can speed the rot. But, if applied correctly will also aid in burning the stump after several months. Directions I saw said to drill a number of holes in the stump, fill with potassium nitrate and add water. Repeat the water over a few weeks.
Then when burning out that will cause the wood to burn faster and more completely.

I have some to try it on starting in next week or so due to several big trees in the memorial weekend tornado here. The potassium nitrate is available from Amazon, like most things. Kinda surprising as it is a component of homemade black powder. It was also used to make cannon fuses. Soak cotton twine in a solution of that stuff and let it dry. That is the theory of using it to burn stumps, it makes the wood burn like that too.

I'll let you know next summer if it worked on my stumps.
Potassium nitrate is available at your local drug store also. Found that out years ago when curing some hams. Just don't ask for it by its other name.

On a side note about outdoor fires. Texas has been back and forth for years over outdoor fires. After some litagation they relaxed burn bans but stiffened penalty for violations when there is a ban on. Interestingly few if any cities have standing ordinance against outdoor fires but fall under county regulations for bans.
And they complain about California?!

I cut mine down flush with the ground so I can just drive over them with my Z-Turn mower.
Dusty
Bingo.

After removing dirt crown with hoe and cutting flush, I stack wood on top of stumps and burn after short drying time. Stumps burn down into ground, and I sometimes need to extinguish fire to avoid leaving hole in ground. Works great but does take time and effort.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back