Farmall 504D loses power coming up a hill.

My 540D runs fine on level ground and going down a hill. Just trying to pull a hay rake, up a hill it loses power. It keeps running but struggles And when it gets to the top of the hill she takes off again. It has plenty of fuel in the tank. I am going to change the filter tomorrow and see if that helps. Thoughts and ideas? Anyone ever seen or experience this? John.

Fuel filter/filters is a common power loss issue. Change them anytime you suspect power loss, if you have full fuel flow to the pump and continue to have power loss, then continue troubleshooting.

Also, check the air cleaner. It could be a air restriction problem. If neither of those things it could be that the injection pump needs a rebuild, or nozzles don't have a good spray pattern like my 806D.

Also, check the air cleaner. It could be an air restriction problem. If neither of those things it could be that the injection pump needs a rebuild, or nozzles don't have a good spray pattern like my 806D.
So I had the pump rebuilt last fall when I bought the tractor. The pump might have 10 hours on it. But I will check the air cleaner. It is an oil bath type.

Carb float level may not be set correctly This is going to sound really stupid, but try backing up the hill and see if it still does it.

My 540D runs fine on level ground and going down a hill. Just trying to pull a hay rake, up a hill it loses power. It keeps running but struggles And when it gets to the top of the hill she takes off again. It has plenty of fuel in the tank. I am going to change the filter tomorrow and see if that helps. Thoughts and ideas? Anyone ever seen or experience this? John.
One other thing. A rake is a near zero load. Does the same power issue happen if using the tractor doing work on level ground? Jim

One other thing. A rake is a near zero load. Does the same power issue happen if using the tractor doing work on level ground? Jim
So I found some time today and finally got to work on the F504. Diesel fuel canister had water in the bottom of it. So I drained it and pulled the filter out. Will pick up and install a new filer tomorrow. Note the fuel line comes out of the bottom of the canister which feeds the injection pump. Thus, Water is the enemy and hard to burn! Fingers crossed this solves it.

So I found some time today and finally got to work on the F504. Diesel fuel canister had water in the bottom of it. So I drained it and pulled the filter out. Will pick up and install a new filer tomorrow. Note the fuel line comes out of the bottom of the canister which feeds the injection pump. Thus, Water is the enemy and hard to burn! Fingers crossed this solves it.
As you bleed the system, be sure to spend 4 times the time cranking letting the starter cool. Crank for 15 seconds and cool for a minute or more. Starters are more expensive than time. Jim

I would think if the appropriate bleeders are opened it would bleed out with a full tank pretty quick. New filters usually flow pretty good if there are no other issues to the fuel flow. I also let some fresh fuel flow out of the end of the lines at the filter to make sure I have a good flow a second there is cheaper than tearing it all apart to find a problem. If there is a problem you have an idea where to start.

I would think if the appropriate bleeders are opened it would bleed out with a full tank pretty quick. New filters usually flow pretty good if there are no other issues to the fuel flow. I also let some fresh fuel flow out of the end of the lines at the filter to make sure I have a good flow a second there is cheaper than tearing it all apart to find a problem. If there is a problem you have an idea where to start.
Thank you.

Ok so here is today’s saga and actions. Purchased and installed new fuel filter. No water in system. Bled system and the tractor started right up. Ran it around for a few minutes. Same issue- it ran fine on level ground and down the hills. But struggled to get back up the hill. Bled system again for grins and checked the air filter ( oil bath). I pulled out the entire filter (metal mesh filter) - I now know exactly what the mesh looks like and how big they actually are. Ran tractor again with out any mesh screen - same issue coming up a hill Struggling. Stopped tractor and put screen mesh back in. Opened bleeder valve again and bled it again for grins. Dumped a bottle of CRC Diesel conditioner in the tank. Tank has about 7 or 8 gallons of fuel in it - fyi. Started the tractor again and let it run wide open for 5 minutes running on level ground. Went down the hill and back up several times with no issues. Not sure it is fixed or not. Am planning to rake about 25 acres of hay tomorrow so we will see what happens. Question does the injection pump have a check valve in it? Any more ideas what it could be or how to troubleshoot? Like I said , the pump was rebuilt last fall and has less that 10 hours of run time on it If that. When coming up the hills seems to be starving for fuel. let’s see what happens on Monday. John.

Some things remain fixed without knowing what fixed it. An issue with the return to tank system being plugged could, or an air leak. Let us know if it stays in "remission" Jim
Hello - well here is what happened today while raking. Tract started up fine. Started raking and within 5 minutes she was struggling pulling the rake up the smallest incline. Even turning the tractor around it slowed to a crawl. if the wheels were straight and on level ground it was fine. Ran it like this for an hour, raking and staying ahead of the guy baling. Then I decided to mess with the throttle. While run along I pushed the throttle lever up to LO. The. Pulled it back to about 3/4 wide open. The problem stopped. It went up and down hills fine. It turned fine. I even put it in 4th gear high and went up a hill. So now thinking something is up with the injector pump? Seems there is a throttle position that lets it run fine. Any thoughts on this and a question. What is an air leak?
Once I finish with hay this week, then I will dig into it more. Just trying to get done this week.

Please post a photo of the injection pump.
It haven't been around an IH 504 Diesel since the early 1960s, does the 504 have a separate STOP/START/RUN pull cable/knob or is it all in the throttle position?

Hello - well here is what happened today while raking. Tract started up fine. Started raking and within 5 minutes she was struggling pulling the rake up the smallest incline. Even turning the tractor around it slowed to a crawl. if the wheels were straight and on level ground it was fine. Ran it like this for an hour, raking and staying ahead of the guy baling. Then I decided to mess with the throttle. While run along I pushed the throttle lever up to LO. The. Pulled it back to about 3/4 wide open. The problem stopped. It went up and down hills fine. It turned fine. I even put it in 4th gear high and went up a hill. So now thinking something is up with the injector pump? Seems there is a throttle position that lets it run fine. Any thoughts on this and a question. What is an air leak?
Once I finish with hay this week, then I will dig into it more. Just trying to get done this week.
"Going up hill" likely has nothing to do with it. As someone explained earlier, pulling a rake takes very little power on the flat and zero power going downhill. You most likely have the problem all the time, but it's only obvious when a little power is needed to pull up the hill.

From this it does sound like something is messed up in the pump. I would go back to the place that did the work on your pump and ask them for advice.

An Ih 504 should have a Roosamaster pump with the separate pull cable to shut it off like the 460/560/660. It does not have a start position like the German diesels though.

the first thing i would do is check the return line to tank for being plugged. that will make it act just as you are describing. and also when its acting up loosen that line at the pump and let the fuel flow and the tractor will run good as a diagnostic check. and with that line plugged the tractor will not run and very poorly if it does.

the first thing i would do is check the return line to tank for being plugged. that will make it act just as you are describing. and also when its acting up loosen that line at the pump and let the fuel flow and the tractor will run good as a diagnostic check. and with that line plugged the tractor will not run and very poorly if it does.
See post 13. Jim

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back