Final Paint Advice

Getting ready to shoot final color on the sides and hood of my '57 Workmaster. I'm thinking that if I paint the backsides of everything and then mount it on the tractor, masking and painting in place, it will result in a better job and lessen the possibility of scratching something doing it separately. Is this how those out there with experience do it?

Getting ready to shoot final color on the sides and hood of my '57 Workmaster. I'm thinking that if I paint the backsides of everything and then mount it on the tractor, masking and painting in place, it will result in a better job and lessen the possibility of scratching something doing it separately. Is this how those out there with experience do it?
Not me. I paint all the sheet metal off the tractor.

Could be done that way but by hanging and shooting both sides, you save a lot of work. As you can see, I paint outside for better light, better air, and paint mist doesn't get on everything.
20240622_143000.jpg

For a show type job, shoot all the sheet metal on a clothes line like Tgrasher's picture. Choose a nice, dry, low-wind day, - about 75-80 degrees.If using enamel, first a medium coat. Let it tack, - and then 1-2 full coats.

I paint indoors. I set everything up as flat as possible to minimize runs. I shoot back/underside first then after nearly dry I turn over and shoot the top/outside. Effective masking of sheet metal in place is nearly impossible.

I painted the individual pieces flat, laid out on tables. Unfortunately, I guess I didn't reduce the paint enough as I ended up with significant orange peel. Coverage was good so I guess my first time wasn't a complete failure. I'm gonna let it cure completely try some wet sanding and then maybe some buffing. If I'm not satisfied, I'll pull it back off and reshoot it.

Attachments

• IMG-6173.jpg
    IMG-6173.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • IMG-6171.jpg
    IMG-6171.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG-6176.jpg
    IMG-6176.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
I painted the individual pieces flat, laid out on tables. Unfortunately, I guess I didn't reduce the paint enough as I ended up with significant orange peel. Coverage was good so I guess my first time wasn't a complete failure. I'm gonna let it cure completely try some wet sanding and then maybe some buffing. If I'm not satisfied, I'll pull it back off and reshoot it.
Or maybe too much reducer.

A friend of mine who use to paint cars for a living, said I needed to add some "retarder" to the paint mix so it would flow out. I haven't heard of retarder for paint. I know a hardener can be added but I don't have an air supplied respirator and even though I'm painting outside, I don't feel really safe using hardener. Anyone out there know about retarder and where I can get some that will be compatible with the Majic brand paint? I have done some preliminary wet sanding and I am pleased with the results. I did wet sand the hood and cut through the paint on one edge so I will be repainting. Before and after pics. I did do some light buffing on the area pictured and it is one side versus the other but the orange peel was the same on both sides.

Attachments

• IMG-6186.jpg
    IMG-6186.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 24
  • IMG-6187.jpg
    IMG-6187.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 24
Last edited:
A friend of mine who use to paint cars for a living, said I needed to add some "retarder" to the paint mix so it would flow out. I haven't heard of retarder for paint. I know a hardener can be added but I don't have an air supplied respirator and even though I'm painting outside, I don't feel really safe using hardener. Anyone out there know about retarder and where I can get some that will be compatible with the Majic brand paint? I have done some preliminary wet sanding and I am pleased with the results. I did wet sand the hood and cut through the paint on one edge so I will be repainting. Before and after pics. I did do some light buffing on the area pictured and it is one side versus the other but the orange peel was the same on both sides.
I would ask that question to the place where you bought the paint, It needs to be compatible.

You need to paint out of the sunlight. If your surface temps are getting high then nothing is going to help enough. I didn't read every previous message meticulously but suspect this could be an issue if you're outside.

You need to paint out of the sunlight. If your surface temps are getting high then nothing is going to help enough. I didn't read every previous message meticulously but suspect this could be an issue if you're outside.
I agree, it was too hot. I did wait until late afternoon before painting again. Turned out much better except for the run, ugh! I'm gonna let it dry/cure for a couple weeks before any attempts at wet sanding out the run and any orange peel. Gonna have to be happy with it this time. I hate painting! I'll tear down an engine, transmission...whatever and rebuild it but I'll never paint again. Different people have different gifts and I admire and respect those who can paint well. First image is the run. I HOPE I can lightly wet sand it out and then buff. Still have some orange peel but nothing like the first attempt. I believe after some very light wet sanding and buffing, this will turn out nicely.

Attachments

• IMG-6193.jpg
    IMG-6193.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • IMG-6192.jpg
    IMG-6192.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 27
  • IMG-6189.jpg
    IMG-6189.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 29
  • IMG-6188.jpg
    IMG-6188.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 27
The first pic seems to show a lack of high build primer.
The first pic shows the run or mottled area. It has settled out a bit after drying. I'm thinking it will wet sand out but I'm not touching it for a week or so. The panels were sand blasted initially, immediately primed, sanded flat and then primed with a high build primer.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back