Ford 8730 powershift locking up

Josh M.

Started up the 8730 to bale and in any low range gear in forward the tractor will drive forward maybe 10 feet and something in the transmission locks up and stops the motor immediately, in reverse it really struggles to move so I haven’t driven in reverse much. High range forward (10th and above) the tractor drives perfectly fine with no weird noises coming from the transmission. I also get no codes when this happens and it drove fine a few days ago

Started up the 8730 to bale and in any low range gear in forward the tractor will drive forward maybe 10 feet and something in the transmission locks up and stops the motor immediately, in reverse it really struggles to move so I haven’t driven in reverse much. High range forward (10th and above) the tractor drives perfectly fine with no weird noises coming from the transmission. I also get no codes when this happens and it drove fine a few days ago
Sounds like a problem with your high range clutch pack not releasing. Try doing a transmission calibration as per the owners manual and report back with the F1, F2, and R calibration numbers. I strongly suspect that F2 will not even calibrate.

It's also remotely possible that there's a problem with the high range (F2) solenoid not releasing. As a test you could swap the F1 and F2 solenoids (and valves) and then see if the problem goes to gears 10-18. A pressure test could also confirm the same thing. This is where a repair manual would come in real handy.

Sounds like a problem with your high range clutch pack not releasing. Try doing a transmission calibration as per the owners manual and report back with the F1, F2, and R calibration numbers. I strongly suspect that F2 will not even calibrate.

It's also remotely possible that there's a problem with the high range (F2) solenoid not releasing. As a test you could swap the F1 and F2 solenoids (and valves) and then see if the problem goes to gears 10-18. A pressure test could also confirm the same thing. This is where a repair manual would come in real handy.
I did buy a manual for it luckily, I’ll do some testing tomorrow when I have more time and post back here with some results.

Calibrated the 8730 today and now everything works perfectly fine, I didn’t try to move it in lower gears before I calibrated so I’m not sure if it fixed itself or if the calibration fixed it. I’ll attach the numbers for the F1 (4/9), F2 (7/6), and R (7/4)clutch packs. Not entirely sure what those numbers mean exactly
IMG_6169.jpeg
IMG_6170.jpeg
IMG_6171.jpeg

Calibrated the 8730 today and now everything works perfectly fine, I didn’t try to move it in lower gears before I calibrated so I’m not sure if it fixed itself or if the calibration fixed it. I’ll attach the numbers for the F1 (4/9), F2 (7/6), and R (7/4)clutch packs. Not entirely sure what those numbers mean exactlyView attachment 78360View attachment 78361View attachment 78362
The actual numbers are 49, 76, and 74. The numbers are in proportion to the amount of hydraulic pressure required to engage the clutch packs just enough to drag the engine speed down. The higher the number, the more pressure required. A high number indicates a worn clutch pack, whereas a low number could be a clutch pack that's dragging.

Since I didn't see an unusual number for F2 as I suspected, and since it's working OK now, I'm going to suspect contamination in your F2 solenoid that has worked its way out. If the problem comes back, do another calibration and post back.

Last edited:

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back