JD 6620 and 216 running wheat question.

[email protected]

Long story short, dad passed in 2021 and left me the family farm. I've been working diligently getting some of his equipment back in the field. I started harvesting my 2nd crop that I have planted, wheat. I have my settings dialed in and only lose a few seeds off the head, nothing out the back. But, I feel like I'm crawling for ground speed. What are you guys finding for a typical ground speed. I was between 1 and 1.4 mph and she's working pretty hard at times. My moisture has been 11.6 to 14.2 across the field and the grain tank samples are looking great. It just seems like dad never went that slow. I may be wrong though.

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_0ef5f7a7-3857-4bc6-aa4f-485395192945.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_0ef5f7a7-3857-4bc6-aa4f-485395192945.jpeg
    265.2 KB · Views: 68
Long story short, dad passed in 2021 and left me the family farm. I've been working diligently getting some of his equipment back in the field. I started harvesting my 2nd crop that I have planted, wheat. I have my settings dialed in and only lose a few seeds off the head, nothing out the back. But, I feel like I'm crawling for ground speed. What are you guys finding for a typical ground speed. I was between 1 and 1.4 mph and she's working pretty hard at times. My moisture has been 11.6 to 14.2 across the field and the grain tank samples are looking great. It just seems like dad never went that slow. I may be wrong though.
What engine in a 6620? 329 or 404?
Chopper takes power. Cut only short enough to get the heads.

What is the yield. Higher yield takes power. Check air cleaner and pre cleaner every day.

What is the yield. Higher yield takes power. Check air cleaner and pre cleaner every day.
I finished today at 1.1mph for most of the field. I haven't got the actual numbers, but quick calculations indicate 52ish bushel to the acre. I drilled this field with an older IH grain drill. The 6620 has the 466 engine.

I finished today at 1.1mph for most of the field. I haven't got the actual numbers, but quick calculations indicate 52ish bushel to the acre. I drilled this field with an older IH grain drill. The 6620 has the 466 engine.
Are you getting ground speed from the number on the hydro control lever? What gear do you have the 4 speed transmission in? During harvesting you should be in 2 or 3 gear, not 4.

I'm not familiar with the 6620 but that sounds about right. I had a 2144 Caseih and used a pickup head from a 12 ft swather. So my windrows were dry in the swath and I could still only go about 2.5 mph. I see green in your standing crop so thats going to pull hard.

Whats holding you back? If it's the sickle and header you need to bolt up the cutter bar for grain. There are holes in the flex plates and you run carriage bolts through and bolt up the sickle

Whats holding you back? If it's the sickle and header you need to bolt up the cutter bar for grain. There are holes in the flex plates and you run carriage bolts through and bolt up the sickle
Bolt up cutterbar?? Is that for a flex head.?? He may have a rigid head.

Cylinder speed? Cylinder/concave gap? Lots of variables there that can can cause slow going. In 50 bpa wheat would think 2+ mph would be attainable unless your straw is still green/tough.

Cylinder speed? Cylinder/concave gap? Lots of variables there that can can cause slow going. In 50 bpa wheat would think 2+ mph would be attainable unless your straw is still green/tough.
Cylinder speed is set at 980rpm. This was also verified with a hand held Stewart Warner tach. Concave was closed by the indicator on the side. I did pull up the inspection cover and made sure it was as indicated. That's also where the book said to start. My fan setting was 740 with the best results. 760 and above seemed to blow the smaller grain out the back. Some of the ends did have weeds coming through, but the main part of the field was nice and clean. I did get it all finished up, but I'm also trying to learn for the next time. Thanks to all for your input!!

Cylinder speed is set at 980rpm. This was also verified with a hand held Stewart Warner tach. Concave was closed by the indicator on the side. I did pull up the inspection cover and made sure it was as indicated. That's also where the book said to start. My fan setting was 740 with the best results. 760 and above seemed to blow the smaller grain out the back. Some of the ends did have weeds coming through, but the main part of the field was nice and clean. I did get it all finished up, but I'm also trying to learn for the next time. Thanks to all for your input!!
What is the actual concave clearance, in fractions of an inch?? We can't see what your "indicator" says.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back